Overheating

MARTIN SIREKIS
  • 2002 GMC ENVOY

Overheating soon after starting to drive it. Replaced thermostat and there are no leaks throughout. There is oil in the spark plugs and I cleaned it out and replaced them. Also had a radiator flush. There is no build up on either the oil cap or the radiator cap. Still overheating.

Monday, April 3rd, 2017 AT 4:43 PM

2CARPROS KEN

Hey Martin,

Even though there is no build up on the cap you could still have a blown head gasket, can you do a chemical check please?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/head-gasket-blown-test

Please run this test and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken

Thursday, April 6th, 2017 AT 4:29 PM
PTEVENDALE
  • 2002 GMC ENVOY
  • MERGED

Engine Cooling problem
2002 GMC Envoy 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 188000 miles

My car keeps over heating every couple of hours of driving. Each time the radiator is only a third of a gallon of coolant low. There are no leaks that I can find, the coolant doesn't seem to be coming out of the exhaust or the heater core. When it over heats it pushes the coolant into the overflow. Could it be a stuck thermostat?

Thursday, April 6th, 2017 AT 4:30 PM
JACK42
  • MERGED

A stuck thermostat usually doesnt let you drive for a couple hours, they tend to overheat very quickly. Could be a flow problem in the radiator causing it to get hot while driving. Might want to start by having the cooling system chemical tested for a blown head gasket (exhaust gasses in radiator)if you cant find any leaks but it is overheating even though you dont see it coming outof the exhaust, just to rule this out. If ok, have the cooling system serviced (radiator flow check) and a new t-stat installed

-2
Thursday, April 6th, 2017 AT 4:30 PM
STEVE W.

Martin - Have you been able to repair your vehicle or found the problem? Please post back as you may help others with your repair. Thank You.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Friday, April 7th, 2017 AT 10:14 PM