How do you solve an engine vibration problem?

MICHAEL NICHOLS
  • 2004 GMC ENVOY

Following repairs have already been performed and still have problem: computer reprogramed, after market engine and transmission mounts installed, fuel injector cleaning, air injection reactor pump, air injection relay, air induction valve control solenoid, new ac delco spark plugs. Vibration was worse after the new mounts were replace. Mechanic into me over $2000.00 and now suggesting a new throttle body and replacing engine mounts with GM mounts.

Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 12:02 AM

CADIEMAN

Something is rubbing. Your part swaping isnt gonna help. Youll need to have the engine scoped first. It checks the oper. Of each cylinder. If someone drives where is the vibration felt?

Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 12:22 AM
MICHAEL NICHOLS

At start up vibration is noticed and felt over whole vehicle. Rattles the front grille. Smoothes out somewhat at higher rpms but I can feel the vibration through accelarator even at higher rpms. Have jacked up front of engine about an inch and vibration reduces significantly.

+1
Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 12:51 AM
CADIEMAN

I would remove the front mount bolt. Than put the jack on the oil pan lift only a 1/2 inch check the noise if its still there replace the front mount bolt. Then do the same thing to the rear mount.

+1
Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 1:33 AM
MICHAEL NICHOLS

THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWER. DO YOU THINK REPLACING THE AFTER MARKET MOUNTS WITH THE GM MOUNTS WOULD MAKE A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE? I EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT TRYING TO PUT SOME TYPE OF HARD RUBBER SHIMS ON THE FRONT MOUNTS SINCE RAISING ENGINE SEEMS TO HELP. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT IDEA? KNOW THAT IS "SHADE TREE" BUT I AM OUT OF REPAIR MONEY AND NEED TO GET THIS FIXED!

Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 1:19 PM
CADIEMAN

U need 2 remove the 2 mount bolts then jack it up. That will answer your question.

Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 1:46 AM
TRAILBLAZER 4.2

Trailblazer with 180000 miles started a BAD engine vibration. 02/2015
While in Drive the engine vibration was loud and in Neutral it ease down a bit.
Parts from Rock Auto. Replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, water pump, thermostat, almost every sensor in the engine and outer transmission were replaced. Next, the Trans Mount and Engine Mounts were replaced with WESTAR brand. THE Vibration went almost away but it was still there, Not as bad but it was there.
Now a month ago this year 2017 with the Engine now 230000 the Vibration came back. Changing the plugs, coils and boots didn't help. FINALLY I ordered the AC DELCO motor mounts from Rock Auto installed the mounts and is working like NEW! NO more Engine Vibration.
Do NOT install aftermarket motor mounts, they work fine for -+ 1 year and before you know is back to square one.

Monday, April 3rd, 2017 AT 7:41 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey,

Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out on the site whenever it can add information that will help.

Best, Ken

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Wednesday, April 5th, 2017 AT 9:08 AM