1994 Ford Ranger fuel pump problems

FORD_BOY
  • 1994 FORD RANGER

1994 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

i was driving to work and outta the blue the truck just stopped tried to start and just turns over come to find that fuel pump was not cycling so replaced the fuel pump w/ whole new assembly new relay all fueses are good inertia switch is fine still no cycle from fuel pump if we bypass the relay the pump will cycle but truck will not start w/ new relay in distrubition box fuel pump will not run could the problem be that I need a new ECM or should I bypass the inertia switch im very lost here and this is my only vehical so any help or suggestions would be very helpful my job is kinda hanging on this also no vechical no job and I cant have that happen

Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 AT 9:39 PM

Sounds like the PCM control of the relay has gone bad. The power for the fuel pump comes originally from fuse no. 22 20amp, when the computer energizes the relay it powers up the pump thru the inertia switch this is how it works

Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 AT 10:05 PM
FORD_BOY

So do you think that this pcm part has malfunctioned and a replacement one would fix this problem my boss is waiting on a update from me and ive missed a weeks worth of work cause of this I have put alot of time and money in this problem already

-1
Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 AT 10:31 PM

Times are tough -The PCM has to go-lacking the funds-power the fuel pump by using a toggle switch from the battery till you can afford the PCM

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving

Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 AT 10:36 PM
FORD_BOY

Can you please pm me or send me a e mail to j_denny@live. Com it sure would be appericated if you get me through this id be more than happy to make a donation in your name

Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 AT 10:40 PM
FORD_BOY

What is the typical price on a new pcm for my truck I could prolly throw another 100$ at it but I just need it to run and if your saying this is the solution no sence in rigging it to make it work I want it to be right and last tgg switch sounds to dangerous

Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 AT 10:52 PM

Disconnect the inertia switch and splice/tap into the pink and black wire make sure you use the same size wire with an inline fuse 10amp -install the toggle switch where you can reach it go thru the firewall straight to the battery positive terminal-your done

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fp1_12.jpg

Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 AT 11:03 PM

New/Refurbished PCM with Autoparts GIANT. Com will cost about $165.00

Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 AT 11:13 PM
FORD_BOY

Looks kinda easy but wouldnt it be just as easy to replace PCM? Where is PCM located and what kinda price am I looking at if its around 100$ I could see spending that rather than a switch knowing me I would forget to turn it off sounds kinda dangerous seeing as my lil boy loves to mess with everything in my truck lol what would you do in this situation sorry if im being a pain but you have been a big help thus far

Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 AT 11:17 PM

PCM location -see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_pcm_8.jpg

Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 AT 11:27 PM
FORD_BOY

That pic is it for the 1994 ford ranger xlt v6 3.0?
It looks like the pcm is close to the distrubition box under the hood would you just replace that or use the switch which would be better in my situation is the pcm just a simple unplug and plug in the new one

Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 AT 11:50 PM

Its for a 3.0L engine-The PCM is an unplug and plug deal-The toggle switch method requires more time-But if its me lacking funds I'll go for the latter part just to buy time till I can afford a PCM.

Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 AT 11:59 PM
FORD_BOY

So after I replace the pcm or put the toggle switch in will my gas gauge start working again also or is this a whole nother problem

Wednesday, November 26th, 2008 AT 12:07 AM

The pink and black wire powers the pump and sending unit-No power at pink and black you'll lose both

Wow! You're definitely working me lol on that donation

Happy Thanksgiving from 2carpros. Com

Wednesday, November 26th, 2008 AT 12:13 AM
FORD_BOY

Well if this fixes the problems im having you got a donation coming your way for sure ill let you know how it all goes after tomarrow I should be driving it if all of the info you gave me helps out are we missing anything or does this pretty much cover it thanks for everything your a great asset to this websiteim glad I found this site happy thanksgiving

Wednesday, November 26th, 2008 AT 12:22 AM

I believe I have given you the very best of me on the fuel system circuitry as for your last comment being here the stars will tell you something about me-lol-Good bye for now Sir

Wednesday, November 26th, 2008 AT 12:28 AM
FORD_BOY

Ok as of now I tried to put a toggle switch in just like you had explained and the pump will run but truck still wont start I took the ignition control module off cause I thought it might be that and had it tested and it checked out ok so I was told maybe it might be the stator coil underneath the distrubitor cap for some reason I think it may not be getting spark I took off one of the plug wires and stuck a bolt in it and held it to a ground and no spark im tottaly lost now and the boos man is not happy where do I go from here I was also told that the pcms in the fords are pretty tough and it might not be that?Im so lost

Wednesday, November 26th, 2008 AT 9:03 PM
FORD_BOY

Or do you think I should at this point take it to a professinal like yourself and let them do the work

Wednesday, November 26th, 2008 AT 10:28 PM

Could be the crankshaft position sensor, distributor pick coil- or the coil/s itself-check for power input to the coil. My last suggestiion is take it in.

Thursday, November 27th, 2008 AT 4:23 PM
FORD_BOY

Yea I so lost its not funny I went ahead and put the bed back on it since I know the fuel pump works but would these sensors have anything with the pump not working through the relay itsself or do you still recomend the toggle switch and checking all those things where is all those sensors located a pic would be of great help on this the last thing I want to do is take it in to get it worked on since I can do most of the work myself ive become mechanic inclined this past week lol please help

Thursday, November 27th, 2008 AT 7:53 PM

You got the fuel pump going now you need to find out what's causing the no spark.

Do you have a distributor or a direct ignition system?

Thursday, November 27th, 2008 AT 8:14 PM