FUEL PUMP PROBLEMS

1994 Ford Ranger

ford_boy

November, 25, 2008 AT 9:39 PM

1994 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

i was driving to work and outta the blue the truck just stopped tried to start and just turns over come to find that fuel pump was not cycling so replaced the fuel pump w/ whole new assembly new relay all fueses are good inertia switch is fine still no cycle from fuel pump if we bypass the relay the pump will cycle but truck will not start w/ new relay in distrubition box fuel pump will not run could the problem be that I need a new ECM or should I bypass the inertia switch im very lost here and this is my only vehical so any help or suggestions would be very helpful my job is kinda hanging on this also no vechical no job and I cant have that happen

November, 25, 2008 AT 10:05 PM

Sounds like the PCM control of the relay has gone bad. The power for the fuel pump comes originally from fuse no. 22 20amp, when the computer energizes the relay it powers up the pump thru the inertia switch this is how it works

ford_boy

November, 25, 2008 AT 10:31 PM

So do you think that this pcm part has malfunctioned and a replacement one would fix this problem my boss is waiting on a update from me and ive missed a weeks worth of work cause of this I have put alot of time and money in this problem already

November, 25, 2008 AT 10:36 PM

Times are tough -The PCM has to go-lacking the funds-power the fuel pump by using a toggle switch from the battery till you can afford the PCM

Good Luck and Happy Thanksgiving

ford_boy

November, 25, 2008 AT 10:40 PM

Can you please pm me or send me a e mail to j_denny@live. Com it sure would be appericated if you get me through this id be more than happy to make a donation in your name

ford_boy

November, 25, 2008 AT 10:52 PM

What is the typical price on a new pcm for my truck I could prolly throw another 100$ at it but I just need it to run and if your saying this is the solution no sence in rigging it to make it work I want it to be right and last tgg switch sounds to dangerous

November, 25, 2008 AT 11:03 PM

Disconnect the inertia switch and splice/tap into the pink and black wire make sure you use the same size wire with an inline fuse 10amp -install the toggle switch where you can reach it go thru the firewall straight to the battery positive terminal-your done

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fp1_12.jpg

November, 25, 2008 AT 11:13 PM

New/Refurbished PCM with Autoparts GIANT. Com will cost about $165.00

ford_boy

November, 25, 2008 AT 11:17 PM

Looks kinda easy but wouldnt it be just as easy to replace PCM? Where is PCM located and what kinda price am I looking at if its around 100$ I could see spending that rather than a switch knowing me I would forget to turn it off sounds kinda dangerous seeing as my lil boy loves to mess with everything in my truck lol what would you do in this situation sorry if im being a pain but you have been a big help thus far

November, 25, 2008 AT 11:27 PM

PCM location -see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_pcm_8.jpg

ford_boy

November, 25, 2008 AT 11:50 PM

That pic is it for the 1994 ford ranger xlt v6 3.0?
It looks like the pcm is close to the distrubition box under the hood would you just replace that or use the switch which would be better in my situation is the pcm just a simple unplug and plug in the new one

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe