CAN A FUEL PUMP 'RUN' BUT NOT PUMP?

TIGUEPOTTER1
  • FORD RANGER

I have a 2003 2.3L Ford Ranger with only 50k miles and I am having (i believe to be a fuel delivery problem). I was driving fine around 65 to 70 mph on the highway.I then stopped, shut off engine, then about 5-10 minutes later went for a drive, once I shifted into 4th gear, the engine stopped responding to me, it was running, but the accelerator wouldn't do anything. As I down shifted I got no response. (It felt like the engine completely bogged out) ( as if really overloaded.) I coasted into a parking lot and let it idle for a second. It seemed to gather itself, so I checked the fuel line connections to the filter (which I just replaced 2 days ago). Everything was connected fine. So I pulled out and headed down the road again.1st gear fine, second fine, 3rd fine, 4th gear. Same thing happend, except this time I wasn't so lucky to let it coast and idle itself out. The truck died in the intersection and then wouldn't start. Once I pushed it into a parking lot, I started testing the fuel pump.
I opened the gas cap, turned the key, and I heard the whirrling noise, (like the pump was activating properly) So, then I disconnected the gas lines into the fuel filter, and had a friend turn the key to see if the pump was indeed 'pumping' gas.
I got no response! The pump didn't spit out any gas!
IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE FUEL PUMP TO 'SOUND LIKE IT'S ON' WITHOUT ACTUALLY PUMPING?
Does it seem like there could be anything else causing this problem?
Would I hear the 'whirrling' 'whistle' sound if it were a fuse relay problem?
I checked the fuse and it was fine!
PLEASE HELP

-TY

Thursday, March 22nd, 2007 AT 9:14 PM

MERLIN2021

Well if the filter was changed only a few days orior to all the trouble, Check to see if it is installed right, will only flow properly one way!

Friday, March 23rd, 2007 AT 2:06 PM
TIGUEPOTTER1

Ok I found the problem, I have a late model 02 ranger, meaning made in nov. 02 but they call it an 03,
Advance auto gave me a filter for a late model 03-04 model ranger. Switched it out. Runs like a dream

Tuesday, March 27th, 2007 AT 5:06 PM