1996 Ford F-150 fuel system

• 1996 FORD F-150

1996 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

when I depress my rear tank switch my truck instantally dies. So I took it to a repair shop they replaced the rear fuel pump and the front /rear dashboard switch. And it still dont work? Ant suggestions. Thankyou

Wednesday, May 6th, 2009 AT 12:55 PM

Hello .. thanks for the donation ..much appreciated

Use a voltmeter to check you are getting a hot feed to the pump .. did the shop replace the whole FDA unit or just the pump .. the sender unit handles the tank switching ?

Fuel Delivery Assembly (FDA)
The FDA consists of a fuel pump inside a reservoir that is attached to the pump and sender assembly. See Fig. 1 . In a 2-tank system, there is one FDA per tank. Fuel sender assembly handles the fuel switching through internal valves.
Fuel reservoir is used to prevent fuel flow interruptions during extreme vehicle maneuvers when fuel tank level is low. Reservoir is located in-tank and is either molded or welded into fuel tank or is part of FDA.
Shuttle valve opens fuel return line to fuel tank when fuel pressure on shuttle diaphragm exceeds opposing check valve spring force. When pump is de-energized, supply check valve closes to maintain pump prime and fuel supply line pressure.
A portion of high pressure flow from the pump is diverted to operate the venturi jet pump. The jet pump draws fuel from the tank into the FDA. This ensures adequate fuel supply during extreme vehicle maneuvers and steep vehicle attitudes when fuel level is low. If FDA is defective, it must be replaced as an assembly.

hope this help's

Thursday, May 7th, 2009 AT 5:56 AM