Fuel Tank Selector Valve

CMAB1
  • 1996 FORD F-150
I have dual tanks and we are having problems trying to find the fuel tank selector valve (if it even has one) so we can replace it and try to fix the problem.
Wednesday, July 6th, 2011 AT 7:15 PM

DOCFIXIT

The fuel switching valve is on the side of the frame rail here are instructions and diagrams to show you how to change it out. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
+1
Wednesday, July 6th, 2011 AT 7:24 PM
MSTRAWDER
  • 1992 FORD F-150
I have a 1992 Ford F-150 with a 4.9L V6. It also has the dual tanks. I have seen so many conflicting statements about the components of the fuel system on this truck since I am experiencing a problem where when I use the front fuel tank (rear fuel pump is not working), fuel is running back into the rear tank and causing it to overflow. This truck has a fuel pump in each tank and another along the rail if I read everything correctly. However, what I'm unsure of is whether or not this truck has a fuel tank selector valve, or just the switch on the dash and the 3 pumps. Also, whether or not this issue would be solved by replacing the rear pump, which I believe has the check valves inside them.
+2
Wednesday, April 24th, 2019 AT 6:13 PM (Merged)
FREEMBA
Your truck has a Fuel Selector Valve. ($65 or so)
if your rear tank isn't working and you don't plan on using it, just plug the line which lead from the front tank to the fuel selector valve [not the one which send fuel to the engine.

Otherwise you need to replace the rear pump and the fuel selector valve.
+2
MSTRAWDER
Thanks for the quick reply. Where is it located at? According to the parts store sites, it's on the left rail behind the driver door. The ONLY thing along that entire rail other than fuel lines that I can see is a standard fuel filter. I do plan on replacing the pump to be able to use the rear tank. When you flip the switch on the dash, you get nothing on 'rear', but the front pump buzzes like a champ when you switch to 'front'.
+2
FREEMBA
I fouund out that there is no fuel selector valve on this truck (because of the year model and the fact that you have a switch on the dash). Anyway repalcing the rear pump should cure the problem. As I understand it the pump assembly have a check valve which prevents fuel from flowing into the tank through the fuel line from the other tank. So replacing the rear tank's fuel pump assembly should cure the problem.
+5
MSTRAWDER
Nice to hear that from an expert. That's what I thought after having done quite a bit of reading, but the fact that they sell that valve for my truck and conflicting info from several sites really made me wonder. You just saved me $65.00. Donation to the site always worth it.
+2
FREEMBA
Sorry about the mix up. I called a buddy who works at a very good auto parts store and he said that they sold one for your truck, which led to the confusion. Please let me know how this all turns out. And of course, let us know if you need any more assistance.
+1
WINEMAN262
  • 1996 FORD F-150
Have the truck listed above Eddie Bauer regular bed dual tank. I get fuel pumping from front tank to rear only. Runs fine on both tanks but seems the front pumps either it's return to the rear or pumps to the rear tank. Thought it might be the dual tank selector valve, but did not appear to be one along the chassis rail. Not sure if it is the fuel pump check valve problem in either tank or what. Ford says that it has a F1UZ9B263B fuel tank valve. But I can't seem to locate it anywhere. Can't find a schematic diagram of its location. Seems like both tanks T off main line to each tank. Assume same for the return line. Thanks for any help.
Saturday, April 18th, 2020 AT 11:17 AM (Merged)
Hi,

I think I know what is happening. There is a fuel tank reservoir valve under the vehicle that is the likely problem. If you look under the driver's side door on the inside of the frame, there should be a black canister/fuel reservoir. See pic 1.

Check for that first. If it is there, you have two choices. You can purchase them on Amazon or eBay or you can try fixing the one you have.

What you will need to do is remove it from the vehicle, and remove the (I think 8) 10mm bolts from the top of it. When removed, there will be an orange diaphragm with one screw holding it in place. Remove the screw to expose a steel round plate. See pic 2.

I circled the part I am referring to in the pic. That is the item that determines if the front or rear tank is being used. Now, that steel plate can move up and down. When down, the front tank is being used. When down, the rear is used. What happens is the two steel slide rods attached to the round plate get dirty and no longer freely move up and down. As a result, fuel goes to different tanks when it shouldn't.

Take a good penetrating fluid and spray along the slides that hold the round plate and work it up and down until if feels free and moving smoothly.

Next, put it back together. Because there is fuel pressure in the reservoir, make sure to use a good sealant designed for fuel and heat when you reseal the top.

Let me know if you find it and if this helps. I've done it before because of the cost of replacement parts and it has worked fine. However, I can't guarantee it will do the job in all cases.

Take care,
-1
KEN
Yours might not have a valve because it was a mid year shift. The reason the tank fills is because the check valve on the pump has gone bad. We used to replace both fuel pump assemblies when this happened which fixed the problem, but you may be able to locate the bad valve if you pull the front tank down. Here are the instructions in the diagrams below to help you fix the problem.

Fuel Pressure Check Valve Locations Components - COMPONENTS - Mounted on the In-Tank Fuel Pump.
-1
WINEMAN262
Thanks Ken. This is a big help. As you probably know Ford does not really support the older vehicles. These forums are about the only reliable source for information like this. Really appreciate this. This is what I assumed happened to this year. Thanks again
KEN
You are welcome please let us know what you find. Use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Please tell a friend.
DKIEFER774
  • 1996 FORD F-150
When I depress my rear tank switch my truck instantally dies. So I took it to a repair shop they replaced the rear fuel pump and the front /rear dashboard switch. And it still dont work? Ant suggestions. Thankyou
DAVE H
Hello .. thanks for the donation ..much appreciated

Use a voltmeter to check you are getting a hot feed to the pump .. did the shop replace the whole FDA unit or just the pump .. the sender unit handles the tank switching ?

Fuel Delivery Assembly (FDA)
The FDA consists of a fuel pump inside a reservoir that is attached to the pump and sender assembly. See Fig. 1 . In a 2-tank system, there is one FDA per tank. Fuel sender assembly handles the fuel switching through internal valves.
Fuel reservoir is used to prevent fuel flow interruptions during extreme vehicle maneuvers when fuel tank level is low. Reservoir is located in-tank and is either molded or welded into fuel tank or is part of FDA.
Shuttle valve opens fuel return line to fuel tank when fuel pressure on shuttle diaphragm exceeds opposing check valve spring force. When pump is de-energized, supply check valve closes to maintain pump prime and fuel supply line pressure.
A portion of high pressure flow from the pump is diverted to operate the venturi jet pump. The jet pump draws fuel from the tank into the FDA. This ensures adequate fuel supply during extreme vehicle maneuvers and steep vehicle attitudes when fuel level is low. If FDA is defective, it must be replaced as an assembly.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_150_7.jpg

hope this help's

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_654.png

+1
ANNALISHA
  • 1996 FORD F-150
I disconnected my front fuel tank due to malfuntion with tank but now my rear fuel tank is acting up when the truck seems to warm up it starts sounding like its dieseling after I hit the acceleration it will start misfiring. If I shut off It will start only after cooled down it seems to run fine then. Ive replaced M.A.F Please help? Thank you!
BMRFIXIT
Do a fuel pressure test and check fuel flow too

let me know

*****************************************
need manual CHECK IT @
http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto_repair_manuals.htm
-1
ANNALISHA
Fuel pressure was 40
-1
THOMAS MONGOLD
  • 1996 FORD F-150
1996 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

I have had my vehicle inspected for the State of Missouri and the inspector says that the front tank is leaking is it a common problem for fuel tanks to leak beacause there is no indication of fuel on the ground or could it be coming from a different area on the tank. I know the sending unit has been replaced recently.

Tom
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Hi Tom,

If you can crawl under and take a look at the tank. Metal Tanks tend to rust and seep at the seams. I is also possible that the gasket for the sending unit may have been damaged during installion or not sealed properly.

And it usually is leaking enough to drip to the ground and if it does it will almost alway do it while driving do the the sloshing around.

.
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1996 FORD F-150
Can I use a inline fuel pump to fix/ instead of replaceing the burnt out one in my fuel tank?
Saturday, April 18th, 2020 AT 11:18 AM (Merged)

Sponsored links