Gas tank removal instructions please?

GARYSIBER
  • 2006 FORD F-150
I have a gas leak. Do I have to remove gas tank to replace the main gas line leaving the fuel pump. It is spewing gas from the top of the coupling when truck electric fuel pump is turned on. Hose has a quick release coupling attaching it to the fuel pump. I was told that I just needed to loosen the tank enough to reach in to the fuel pump and remove the fuel line and replace it? What will I have to do to replace this fuel line?
Friday, December 11th, 2009 AT 10:33 PM

The tank should be removed, but if you can access the hose without removing it the entire way, then I would try it.

NOW HERE IS WHAT I WANT YOU TO DO:

The truck came from the manufacturer with a 5 year / 50K mile emission warranty. Contact the dealer and tell them you have a fuel leak at the tank and it should fall under the emissions warranty because fumes are getting into the atmosphere.

My point is this, if there was an EVAP leak, it would be covered under warranty. If you argue your point, I feel you should be able to get it covered 100% under warranty unless something has happened to cause the problem like you hit something or the damaged was caused by someone working on it.

Here is a video of the tank being dropped on a similar vehicle with instruction in the diagrams below for you car.

https://youtu.be/bCcueO4ALxQ

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
Sunday, December 13th, 2009 AT 1:20 AM
RYVER
  • 2002 FORD F-150
  • RWD
Can't remove fuel tank vent valves
Saturday, May 29th, 2021 AT 10:59 AM (Merged)
Hello, Try pushing down and twisting. Here is a diagrams and instructions below. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
VREDFREAK
  • 1998 FORD F-150
I am attempting to drop the gas tank to replace a weak fuel pump. The problem I am having is that I cannot disconnect the wiring harness from the EVAP pressure sensor. I am depressing the small tab on the top of the connector for all I am worth, but it is not budging even a tiny bit. From the condition of the EVAP lines, I am pretty sure that none of this has been touched since the vehicle was new. I have cleaned as much debris from around the connector as possible. Any suggestions for getting the connection undone?
KASEKENNY1
Unfortunately, there are no tricks to it. However, you are most likely correct that the connections are corroded causing them to not want to come apart. The only thing I have found that helps with this is to use a set of needle nose pliers to pull the connector apart. So you press down on the release tab and then a set of pliers on the other side of the connector and that will give you a little more leverage.

I am attaching the process to replace the tank in case others that visit this site need the instructions.

Let us know if there are other questions. Thanks
NEIL2013
  • 1994 FORD F-150
  • RWD
I am trying to remove the gas tank but, there is a rubber filler neck hose sticking out of the side of the gas tank. It also has a heater hose clamp on it which I cannot access.I cannot remove the bed for I have no help. Thee is only 1/8 of an inch clearance on all 4 sides. How can I remove the gas tank with the rubber hose attached to the gas tank. Thank you for your time, help & attention.
I grabbed this from "mitchell i"---screenshot it, moved their logo into view (as to show them credit), and cropped the page so that, hopefully, you can read it

sometimes you gotta be a contortionist or have special tools to get to some of the stuff. The ole "$9.99 socket set" of yesteryear just don't cut it now-a-days

sometimes you gotta improvise, like is it feasible to take the filler loose from the fill port and bring it all down at once?

I'm not familiar with removing the tank from your truck, mitchell is pretty good about explaining the correct way

i have the screen shot of the procedure and the only 2 diagrams that they had related to the tank. Sorry.I looked real hard!

Lemme know if this helps

the medic
If you remove it from the side of the bed, you should be able to remove it.
COKERDEI
  • 1990 FORD F-150
I am removing my front gas tank permanently. Old tank rusted out so I want to run it with rear tank only. What is the best method to deal with the fuel lines going to front tank? I read somewhere to hook the two lines together but truck will start and run about two seconds then sounds like it is choking out. Please advise.
STEVE W.
The best option would be to remove the lines and the selector assembly and attach the fuel and return line from the rear tank to the engine feed lines. Then you do not have to worry about leaks or running issues.

But be sure you want to remove the front tank. A new tank is around seventy five dollars and unless the rear tank has been replaced it could start leaking as well. You could install the new tank and delete the rear tank lines and not worry about it for a long time.

Sponsored links