Crank will not start

RON CONDELUCI
  • 2003 HONDA CRV
About 3 weeks ago I had the starter replaced. Everything was okay until yesterday. Now the engine cranks good but will not start, also the temperature gauge will shoot all the way up to hot as soon as a turn on the ignition.
Friday, May 22nd, 2020 AT 3:29 PM

As far as the temperature gauge, it sounds like there is a short to power. Do me a favor. I need you to test the oil switch. Here are the directions and the attached pic correlates with the directions. If you need help, let me know.

_____________________________

2003 Honda Truck CR-V 4WD L4-2.4L
Component Tests and General Diagnostics
Vehicle Powertrain Management Sensors and Switches - Powertrain Management Sensors and Switches - Computers and Control Systems Oil Pressure Sensor Testing and Inspection Component Tests and General Diagnostics
COMPONENT TESTS AND GENERAL DIAGNOSTICS
Oil Pressure Switch Test

pic 1

1. Remove the YEL/RED wire (A) from the engine oil pressure switch (B).
2. Check for continuity between the positive terminal (c) and the engine (ground). There should be continuity with the engine stopped. There should be no continuity with the engine running.
3. If the switch fails to operate, check the engine oil level. If the engine oil level is OK, check the engine oil pressure. If the oil pressure is OK, replace the oil pressure switch.

____________________________________________

Next, I need you to check for spark and fuel to the engine to help determine why it won't start. The easiest thing to do is see if it starts for a couple seconds using starting fluid. If it does and then stalls, then we know it's a fuel related issue. If it still doesn't, then it's likely ignition related.

If you feel uncomfortable using starting fluid, here are two links that explain how to check for both:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-an-ignition-system

Let me know what you find.

Friday, May 22nd, 2020 AT 6:41 PM
KASEKENNY1
Let's do two things. First we need to check for codes. I suspect we have an issue when the coolant temperature sensor is faulty telling the PCM that the engine is hot and it is not dumping the correct amount of fuel so the engine will start. If we have codes then we can track down that issue and is not, we can just go after the coolant sensor on our own and then once that is fixed we can retest the starting issue.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

Here is a video that covers the basic things of a no start but again, let's go after the coolant temp sensor first and then we can address the no start if that does not fix it as well, which will be checking for spark and fuel.

https://youtu.be/dCjmRL3p4Cs
+2
Friday, May 22nd, 2020 AT 6:45 PM
RON CONDELUCI
Kasekenny1,

I was able to get the engine to start by using starting either, but the temperature gauge still was pegged. Since it was running, should I still go after the temperature sensor. Also, there is no check engine light coming on.
Thursday, May 28th, 2020 AT 4:02 PM
Hi,

If it starts with starting fluid, replace the sensor to see if that takes care of the problem. Is the vehicle able to be restarted without the use of starting fluid?

+1
Friday, May 29th, 2020 AT 9:09 AM
RON CONDELUCI
No, it will not start without using the either.
Saturday, May 30th, 2020 AT 11:02 AM
KASEKENNY1
The way I understood this was the temperature gauge issue happened at the same time as it started to not start. If this is the case then I would think the PCM is cutting the injectors due to it thinking the engine is overheating. If these issues are related, then doing as Joe stated of replacing the sensor would fix both issues.

However, if it doesn't then we can chase the fuel issue because clearly it is not getting fuel causing the no start.
+1
Saturday, May 30th, 2020 AT 6:32 PM
RON CONDELUCI
Ok, thanks. I'll get it started again and take it to the repair shop. Where the sensor is located I can't do it at home.
Monday, June 1st, 2020 AT 10:11 AM

Sponsored links