Engine cranks and does not start

KARKID19528
  • 2009 HONDA CRV
I have checked for voltage and signal on crank position sensor which is located next to the crankshaft. I removed the three wire connector and installed my voltmeter to check for voltage on each wire with key on. I cannot find any voltage on the connector side disconnected.
Thursday, October 13th, 2016 AT 7:00 PM

There should be 5 volt reference, here is a guide to help us fix the engine not start problem

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Please run down this guide and report back.
+1
Friday, October 14th, 2016 AT 7:24 AM
KEN
Hello KARKID19528,

I found some wiring diagrams for you to reference for this problem, there are a few PGM FI relays that could have gone bad, and a wiring junction block at the rear of the engine. You should be getting some kind of voltage. Also check all of the fuses.

Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken
+1
Friday, October 14th, 2016 AT 4:10 PM
KARKID19528
I went to a connector #103 that has voltage wires come from main relay, and voltage to crank position sensor was fixed at connector
Monday, October 17th, 2016 AT 8:01 PM
KEN
So the problem is fixed?
+1
Monday, October 17th, 2016 AT 8:24 PM
KARKID19528
Yes, problem is fixed, thanks to everyone for the help
Tuesday, October 18th, 2016 AT 9:17 AM
KEN
Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Best, Ken
Tuesday, October 18th, 2016 AT 10:25 AM
KARKID19528
  • 2009 HONDA CRV
The engine will start only when I add fuel to intake port, it has fuel pump running and no trouble codes.
Thursday, June 25th, 2020 AT 11:59 AM (Merged)
Check fuel pressure with a gauge auto parts rent it here is an article to help.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator
+1
KARKID19528
I rented a fuel pressure tester and connected to fuel pressure line from tank. I did not see a fuel regulator on the injectors assembly. I connected the tester and put the key on; it showed at 49-50 lbs. For 2 - 3 seconds and settled at 45-47 lbs. With key on. I have fuel pressure, yet, it will not start. When I add fuel to intake port, the engine starts. Therefore, I checked the fuel injector connector for power. I put the key on and the power wire connector has voltage. The other wire does not have pulse when I crank. I put my test light lead on the batt pos. And the testlight tip on the wire opposite the pos. Wire connector when cranking, and there is no pulse. Can the problem be the security system? When I put the key on, the green key (security) on dash flashes once quickly and does not come back on. I was able to use my remote key to unlock doors, at the moment I cannot unlock doors with the remote key. I would appreciate the method to test the security system for lockout and the method to determine where I am losing pulse to injectors when cranking. Thanks.
Yes It can be the security system they all act different on what they shut down. Try a reset if no manual look online for your car on how to do it.
+1
KARKID19528
Okay, the reset is done; I went back to check voltage on injector and I have positive 12 volts on the power wire and checked for pulse on the other wire when cranking, it has a pulse. So, the vehicle has fuel pressure, pulse on injectors and only starts with fuel in the intake. Do you think the injector pulse is injecting very little fuel (lean)? The testlight lights us bright when cranking. I will check spark plugs and replace if necessary, otherwise, do you think we need to figure out if injectors signals are not injecting enough fuel? Let me know, I really appreciate it.
I just checked you are supposed to have 47-54 psi on fuel pressure and yours is running low so it may be a fuel filter did you try to reset security if not do so.
+1
Forgot check fuses and relays as well especially main and pgm relays
+1
KARKID19528
I believe this vehicle (2009 Honda CRV) has a filter in the fuel pump. Is this correct? Also, where is the main and/or the pgm relays and how can I check them?
Yes both models are there are two so I kind of doubt it's a filter probably a weak pump.see pic #2 is ignition coil rest are pgm relays. see article for relay test
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit
+1
KARKID19528
The fuel pressure at 45-47 lbs when key on is low? On the image, what are 14 and 15? And relays 1, 3, 5 and 10? I am sending you images of the fuse box and lid.
KARKID19528
Aren't the fuses for the main and pgm next to 15 and 14?
KARKID19528
I checked relays 2, 3, 5 and 10. They click with the key on and I remove and replace them. I have spark at the plugs, injector pulse when I test with testlight while cranking engine. Fuel pressure at 45 to 47 lbs. With key on. What do you think?
Thanks.
Check compression and see if your timing has jumped on your cam it may be that but do compression test first. If none of this works then have amechanic look at it.
+1
KARKID19528
The vehicle starts when I add fuel to the intake; what makes the injector pulse lean or rich? Is that the computer? There are no trouble codes.

Sponsored links