Radiator fan not working

FAHRFI
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Engine Cooling problem 6 cyl Radiator fan doesn't work. BCM has been replaced. The computer can turn on the fan if it bypasses the BCM. Is there a relay or sensor that needs to be replaced?
Monday, July 19th, 2010 AT 2:14 PM

KEN

There are two fuses and three relays that run the system here are two guides and the cooling fan wiring diagrams (Below) along with the fuse and relay locations.

First check fuses. If OK check fan control relays ( 3 of them, all on bottom side of underhood electrical center). If OK as well then engine coolant temp. Sensor is probably faulty.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, November 28th, 2017 AT 8:13 PM
GREGORYQ
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Engine Cooling problem
2003 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100.00 miles

I changed all the relays and the fan wont come on. Am I missing something?
+2
Tuesday, November 28th, 2017 AT 8:14 PM (Merged)
Check and test the coolant temperature sensor and the engine temperature sender switch-if both ok, could be the wiring or the computer.
+1
WAYNE ROBINSON
  • 2002 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Engine Cooling problem
2002 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 109211 miles

Hi my car tends to over heat and I have two cooling fans and they do not come on at all except when I turn on the air conditioner. Can you help pin point the problem?
BLACKOP555
Sounds like a bad coolant temperature switch to me.

Fixing it or the harness should solve your problem!
SATOMORRISON
  • 2001 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Cooling gauge not working
fans cooling fans stay on
top hose hot
bottom cold
SATURNTECH9
If only one hose is getting hot I would check the thermostat. Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?
-1
TONY CARNES
  • 2002 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Air Conditioning problem
2002 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 34000 miles

the ac cycles when the ambient temp is over 90, it just started doing that. I have swapped the pressure cycle switch, the clutch relay, checked the refrigertet level at night when the clutch will stay engaged, the pressures are correct then so the refregerent level should be ok. The comp and the radiator fans do not come on above 90 with accuation of the ac on swith. The compressor cycles on for about a second and again in about 2 min for a sec. Even though when below 90 it all runs ok. The book states their may be a restricton but the pressures do not indicate that and it would not go away at night. Is there an ambient temp sensor that may be doing this and where is it? Is the car computer going bad? The car has the left and right slide controles for temp it does not have an set point
temp

thank you
Tuesday, November 28th, 2017 AT 8:15 PM (Merged)
RHALL77
Does the vehicle have automatice temp controls
TERRY1963
  • 2000 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Airconditioning not working:

I have had this checked and it is charged, there are no leaks and the compressor is working. However, the fan by the radiator does not come on when the ac is switched on. The service guy thinks it is an electrical problem and will not touch it. Any advice would be great. I would think they already checked fuses.

Thanks.

Terry
BMRFIXIT
Does one of the ac lines under the hood get cool
when ac running does you car leak water behind the front right tire
if so the blend door is stuck
if none of that
need to find if there is difference in presure
low about 30psi high about 100 and up
RONNIE BARCLOW
  • 2000 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Engine Cooling problem
2000 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Ok! I own a 2000 impala and my car was over heating because my fans wasnt comming on and my check engine light came on. So I went too replace the coolin fan fuse relay and my check engine light went off but my fans still wouldnt come on. So replaced the little fuse and under the hood and as soon the little fuse connect too the slot, it blew instantly, so im so confused and frustrated
You have a short circuit within the cooling fans circuitry.
+1
SERVIN
  • 2000 CHEVROLET IMPALA
My fans are not coming on, but when I check the relay with the tester light they come on. When I take the tester off the relay they cut off.
Check for corrosion on relay prongs or bad, try tweaking the prongs and putting dielectric compound on them see if that helps. You can also change relay with a known good one see if it works then. It may be a fuse box problem though not gripping relay well enough.
STRYMAN
  • 2001 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Engine Cooling problem
2001 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

I am experiencing a series of problems with my Impala and am wondering if they are connected. The gas guage stays mostly on full, sometimes on empty and occasionally seems to register the correct fuel level. The engine started not cranking. No clicking as in a low battery, more like in the ignition switch. If I wait a few seconds or minutes it will eventually crank. Sometimes when I open the door the overhead light won't come on and will not turn on with the light switch. Generally will come on after a minute or two. The cooling fans have at times run for a few minutes after the car is turned off, even in cold weather when the temp guage shows a normal temperature. The above problems are in order of occurence, they did not happen at the same time and some of them are not happening with the frequency that they once were. For instance the starting problem hardly ever occurs anymore though at one time it was occurring about 30 percent of the time I attempted to start the car. The most current problem which seems to be getting worse is the cars idle. It is racing. The engine rpm will pick up on its own, it sounds like above 2000 or more rpm's and will sometimes settle down on it's own. The car seems prone to overheating or running hotter than normal during this period. If the rpm is behaving normally the car will not overheat. I had a mechanic at a dealer tell me that is sounded like it could be a ground problem and I checked the battery ground and the grounds running to the right and left fender wells and those were ok. Any ideas?
+1
RHALL77
Engine RPM could be a vacuum leak or intake gasket. As for the electrical, did you have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes. With all them I would possible suspect the body control module.