Car starts and idles, but wont accelerate and dies while driving

DWHURM
  • 2005 NISSAN ALTIMA
The Check engine light came on while driving and engine shut off. We towed the car home. After cleaning the camshaft sensor, the check engine light cleared off and the car would start and idle, although it still had an engine knock (this knock was never noticed before the engine died). I also checked the crankshaft sensor, which seemed to be okay. After we got it running, I drove it about one mile, taking it very easy and staying under 25mph and 2000rpm, the engine lost power again. It would not restart. Three hours later, we put it on a code scanner, and it didn't pull any codes. I bought a new camshaft sensor and installed it, but nothing seemed to change. I restarted it, and idled home for probably half a mile. There is no check engine light and a code scan shows "pass". The car will now start, but it will not rev any higher than idle speed. All four cylinders seem to be running and the mass air flow seems to be okay. What should I check next, since I cannot get a diagnostic code?
Sunday, May 31st, 2015 AT 6:00 PM

Is the knock still there? Do you have a live scanner that can show how sensors are reacting when the engine idles? If you press the gas, does the engine still continue to idle or does it stall?
+1
Sunday, May 31st, 2015 AT 7:56 PM
DWHURM
The knock has been there since it was towed home. After cleaning the camshaft sensor, the knock was not as noticeable, and the check engine light cleared. I did change the camshaft sensor, although that didn't help any. If I start the engine cold, it does idle and you can hear a softer knock. You can then rev the engine, but the knock is much louder at higher rpms. However, if you try to drive the car, after a few feet, it seems to lose all power and the engine will shut off within a mile. Then, it will have to cool down before it will start again. All I have now is an OBD II scanner.
Monday, June 1st, 2015 AT 4:59 PM
The knock has me concerned. WIthout being there, it is hard to identify, but it could be a rod or main bearing in the engine. It could be allowing oil pressure to drop off far enough that the engine is shut down. You may want to have someone listen to it that has a trained ear for such issues.
+1
Wednesday, June 3rd, 2015 AT 8:52 AM
DWHURM
My neighbor who has done a lot of work on cars also said he thought it was a rod or bearing when the engine was running. I just can't believe that the check engine light isn't on. I am going to take it to the local Nissan dealership Monday. Thanks.
Friday, June 5th, 2015 AT 11:26 AM
I agree. It is odd that the light hasn't come on. If it is only a bearing issue, however, there are no electronics that will set a code, but the shut down should.
Friday, June 5th, 2015 AT 7:35 PM