No pedal response, or slow acceleration

MYSTARAY
  • 2008 NISSAN ALTIMA

I am in dire need of assistance with diagnosing a strange symptom (my car is the coupe model) is doing.

It all started on a drive to Utah from Arizona. We were going up an incline and got cut off by another car and had to push on the brakes. Upon trying to resume accelerating, we got no response from the gas pedal. Nothing at all, besides a slight acceleration until we pulled off the road. I could push the pedal to the floor with little to no response, and mostly no response. I turn the car off for a few minutes, started it up, and we were somewhat back to normal. It accelerated, but did not have power behind it. It took much more to get to eighty mph, or even sixty mph.

But then, it would drive fine. For two days, it ran fine without incident. But on the drive home after a couple hours, I had it in cruise control, and heading up a hill it just kicked me out of cruise, and when I hit the pedal I got no response. Though it did not slow down as if I removed my foot from the pedal, it slowly dropped mph until we pulled off again. If we turned the car off for a few minutes it would return to working (though seemed to have lag in throttle.). It did it a few times more. Today during local driving it just seems to have a lack of response and throttle, taking more effort to accelerate.

It may have started a few days before the trip my girlfriend said (it is her car), as she said it did the symptom of not accelerating as fast as normal.

Reading about the symptoms of low fuel pressure, it does not sound like it. The car never sputters, jerks, or has any other symptom besides no response when the gas pedal is pressed. The engine runs sound, and idles perfectly. We drove at least three hundred miles before it happened on the way back, the first time.

My initial thoughts are the throttle body, or some sensor or electoral component. But, I am not even remotely comfortable with diagnosing mechanics.

Actually one other thing to add, when it does this, and right before it revs to over three thousand rpm's, and sometimes past four thousand before it stops responding at all. That is the case also when it has a hard time accelerating.

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Monday, June 9th, 2014 AT 11:27 AM

It sounds like you are having a problem with the throttle actuator or an intermittent blockage of the exhaust system.

Here are a few guides to help you do some testing so you can get the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-has-low-power-output

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-a-catalytic-converter

Please let us know what happens, we are interested to see what it is.

Cheers

+2
Monday, June 9th, 2014 AT 4:10 PM
BAKE97

I have a very similar condition- with a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5s Sedan- the first occurrence was around 75,000 on an incline at about 7,000 ft elevation near Colorado Springs. The second was more crucial, at a higher elevation (9500 plus), maybe 4,000 more on the odometer. In the first instance I found a parts store and being away from home, I decided to replace the air filter to see if that would work. It seemed to work, I had no further problems with the car until the more recent episode. In the case of the second problem I was ferrying my wife to pick up a car we had purchased; the dealer is a personal friend, and I asked him about the problem. He is an ex-GM factory rep and a multi-brand dealer (not Nissan). He was sure that it was not the air filter, that it is the fuel filter/fuel pump. I still do not know. The car ran fine over the high elevation and incline on the return trip, but I took it easy. I would like to know if there is any resolution to the problem since the circumstances are so similar. I have looked to see if this is a known problem with this car, Nissan seems to have a blind spot when it comes to high altitude- I say this because of experience with the tire pressure warning light. It comes on every winter, for as long as the cold weather continues, they have no fix or adjustment to address that problem.
Again, I wonder if your problem has been diagnosed, since there is no follow-up to the fuel pressure advice.

+6
Tuesday, September 16th, 2014 AT 1:35 PM
NOTORIOUSKEV04

I had this problem. It started after a problem I had with my car not starting and I replaced the brake switch on the brake pedal myself

The way the switch is designed, there is a clicker at the end and when it's installed correctly, it is pressed in. When you press the brake pedal, it depresses (unpresses?) And your brake lights come on so if the switch is not all the way in, the brake lights will be on (because your car thinks your pressing the brakes), and it will be like you're driving with the brakes on (this is the most logical thing that I can think of for the slow acceleration).

Anyway the only reason I noticed my brake lights were on was because when I got home and parked in the garage, I saw them reflecting on the garage door and they did not turn off after I got out the car like they normally do. So after properly installing the switch (pushing it in a little more and then locking it), the brake lights turned off, the car no longer started without pressing the brake and normal acceleration resumed.

Hope you were able to figure this out without shelling out hundreds to do so (if your problem was the same as mine anyway).

Friday, September 4th, 2015 AT 5:36 PM
DAVIDHCK1@GMAIL.COM

Had the same thing happen to me was the step motor inside the valve body of transmission, that part is normal to be replaced with a CVT transmission at around 80,000 to 150,000 KM will go eventually because is a electric motor in the valve body. With that thing not working fast enough or slow response will not activate the transmission properly and will be slow acceleration. I had same problem took valve body out of transmission replaced the step motor, after was like new again. Is a common problem with Nissan CVT.

+36
Saturday, April 9th, 2016 AT 12:33 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Thanks for your input David! It has helped others.

Please use 2Carpros anytime.

Best, Ken

Tuesday, August 16th, 2016 AT 11:32 AM
BRIMA GEORGE

I have problem with my Murano 2002 accelerator pedal. The right pedal is missing can someone tell me the right serial number of the right medal. This is the chassis number. JN8AZ08W83W202481.

+3
Tuesday, September 13th, 2016 AT 8:22 AM
DAILO23
  • 2002 NISSAN ALTIMA

Weird things started happening Saturday, I saw my headlights and interior lights pulsing between bright and dim.

Also when I was stopped at a light it would feel like the car would be lurching forward with every pulse of light. I would turn on the AC and the pulses would get further apart I thought okay alternator problem.

I was never worried about the car shutting off, the idle was steady and had no problems starting after I turned if off.

Sunday I started up the car in the morning and everything is seemingly fine no more pulsing of lights, took it for a spin, started and turned it off several times, no issues.

Monday (today) about thirty hours later, battery drained. I went to buy a new battery to put in, car started but now I get no gas pedal response when I press on it. Well not entirely true, I get it to rev up right after starting the engine for about two seconds. After that I hit the gas pedal and I get the slightest of revs, barely noticeable.

No CEL, checked OBD2 and no trouble codes.

+1
Tuesday, December 13th, 2016 AT 5:07 PM (Merged)