Blower motor

YLANGE89
  • 2011 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
When I first get in the truck the air blows fine out of all the vents. After maybe 10min it will start to blow less and less until there is hardly any air coming out. I can hear the blower motor running. When it does this I turn it on high and it sounds like something rattling in the vents by the motor but after a minute or so on high it will start blowing out fine and I can put in on a lower fan speed and it'll work fine for a few minutes and then it'll stop blowing out vents again. Blower motor has been replaced but still have same problem. Air stays cold.
Saturday, December 12th, 2015 AT 5:26 AM

JOHNNYT73
That is interesting.I would take a look at the resistor.
Saturday, December 12th, 2015 AT 6:31 AM
BAWDEW
Did you ever get it fixed? I have the exact same problem and had the actuator door on the drivers replace twice, but that has not fixed it. The blower fan motor is blowing, but the air slowly stops coming out of the vents. I have noticed that while I am travelling at highway speeds and this happens, and I turn off the AC, and have the outside air button pushed, you DO NOT have air flowing thru the vents from the outside like you normally would. If I drive like this, with the AC and fan off, for 5 minutes or so, the outside air will slowly start coming in again thru the vents. If I then turn the AC back on, it will work for awhile before repeating the same problem. I am thinking it somehow has to do with whatever switch/actuator controls the vent that controls the outside air coming in. I have had this problem for over a year. The local chevy dealer had it for a week and said they could not find a code, and could not repeat the problem, but all they did was left it idling, they did not drive it, so it has to be moving to have this problem. Of course on the way home from the dealer it had the same problem. A local mechanic replace the actuator door twice but that did not fix the problem either.
Thursday, October 26th, 2017 AT 5:27 AM
YLANGE89
I never figured out what it was. But I did realize that when the air would stop blowing through the vents the lines and accumulator would be frozen up. I read that after a while you can get moisture in the frion which will cause it to freeze and block the air blowing in. I dont have the problem any more it just went away on its own but I did go ahead a pull a vacuum and recharge the system. So I m not really sure what it was.
Thursday, October 26th, 2017 AT 7:57 AM
KEN
Yep that is exactly what happens, when the system is low on charge the evaporator ices up and blocks the airflow. Recharge the system and the problem goes way.

Here is a guide to help you.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/re-charge-an-air-conditioner-system

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/air-conditioner-how-to-add-freon

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
Friday, October 27th, 2017 AT 12:55 PM
BAWDEW
I'm gonna do this and I will let you know how it works out. Nobody else has even had a possible explanation so this is welcomed information! Thanks!
Saturday, October 28th, 2017 AT 6:07 AM
KEN
Please let us know what happens so it will help others.

Cheers, Ken
Saturday, October 28th, 2017 AT 5:00 PM
BAWDEW
OK, I showed this link to my mechanic and he agreed that this could be a possibility, so pulled a vacuum and recharged the system. Worked fine in the shop, then a couple of miles down the road it did the same thing, so this solution did not work. I now notice that I am having the same problem with the heater, or when the AC is off and it is on outside air. The vents slowly get closed while driving. Doesn't seem to happen if the truck is just idling sitting still. The fan is running strong, but it is like all the vents are closed. Sounds like it is blocked somewhere in the dash on the passenger side.
Saturday, November 18th, 2017 AT 6:43 AM
KEN
Okay it sounds like you have a mode blend door actuator that is going out. Here is a guide that should show you what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-blend-door-motor

Here is what it will be like in your car (below)

The diagrams are Mode, Right then Left air blend door actuators. After replacing the actuator the system may need to relearn which can be done by removing the HVAC fuse for 15 minutes.

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken
Saturday, November 18th, 2017 AT 2:45 PM
BAWDEW
OK, thanks. I will give this a shot!
Saturday, November 18th, 2017 AT 3:54 PM