RANDOMLY OVERHEATING

2007 Nissan Altima

Girlynissan07

July, 28, 2012 AT 1:27 PM

Ok, I have brought my car to my mechanic twice for this issue, and they can't find a thing wrong. My thermostat fluctuates, sometimes going all the way to H. I turn the heat on, and it goes down. Last night it was doing it again, so we tried not turning the heat on, and the thermostat stayed up to H for a minute, then slowly went down on its own. What is wrong with this car?

July, 28, 2012 AT 1:39 PM

Low coolant level, bad thermostat, clogged radiator or a blown head gasket. Since you have driven it overheated, I would have that checked first

Girlynissan07

July, 28, 2012 AT 2:44 PM

Thank you for responding! I have had a pressure test, thermostat was tested, the whole car, and the fluid level is checked every morning, just to be sure. The whole car is fine, is there anything else, or is it a recall issue?

July, 28, 2012 AT 2:48 PM

No recall, everything is not fine. One of these items is creating your issue and you need to have someone track it down before you do serious damage to the motor from overheating.

July, 28, 2012 AT 4:30 PM

Check the cooling fans. They could be working intermittently due to failing motors.

Girlynissan07

July, 28, 2012 AT 4:38 PM

Thank you KH!

July, 28, 2012 AT 4:45 PM

I agree with KH but the fans cool at idle not at higher speeds as you indicated.

Girlynissan07

July, 28, 2012 AT 4:55 PM

Thanks ASE, my car had been referred/brought to the dealership, where even they are having difficulty figuring out the issue, as it is not doing it for them, and they cannot find a broken cracked or leaking part. Thanks to all! Hoping the dealership can determine the issue, as I really like my car! I was just hoping for some ideas : )

July, 28, 2012 AT 4:58 PM

Good luck

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser