Heater not working

ERIN664
  • 2007 NISSAN ALTIMA

The fan switch control for the AC/Heater comes on like clockwork about twenty to thirty minutes after driving the car. I have manual temperature controls and replaced the fan switch control assembly with no luck. I have had better success when I place a space heater in the car on the passengers side pointed towards the console for thirty minutes then remove it and start driving, the heater fan motor will start after only five minutes of driving, sometimes right away. It will run for hours once started and sounds perfect, but if I stop the car for an errand leaving it off for fifteen to twenty minutes, it will take fifteen to twenty minutes for it to come back on. During the summertime, it is the same pattern with the AC it will take five to ten minutes for the AC to come on, but winter time seems to take much longer. Please advise. Thanks!

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 4:02 AM

RIVERMIKERAT

I have attached the schematics for you to use while testing. But it sounds like a relay is giving you the trouble they can come and go like that. Use this guide to help test the problem.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Please run this test and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 4:17 AM
ERIN664

Thanks for those. However, when I tried printing them they came out all blurry. I am unable to read the text at all. I tried saving them and printing from my desktop but that did not help. Is there anything you can suggest?

-2
Friday, December 16th, 2011 AT 5:25 AM
HEATHERGLOVINSKY

I have the same issue. The problem does not repeat itself when I drop it off at the dealership so they are unable to troubleshoot it.

I have a 2007 Nissan Altima. The issue began in November 2012 (just before the five year warranty ended). I woke up early to go to work, it was cold outside and the heating or A/C would not turn on. There is absolutely no noise or air blowing out of it. I have tried turning the car off and on again but this only works occasionally. After several minutes (two to ten minutes), the A/C and heating unit will start blowing air.

It seemed to happen more often last week when the temperatures were as low as the mid twenties at night.
The dealership changed the blower motor, control head, and recharged the A/C in November 2012.

Now, the warranty is expired and the dealership can not troubleshoot it. I took the car in Friday night and it worked perfect all day Saturday. And of course it acted up for us Sunday morning! It is difficult to get it to the dealership when it is acting up.

Anyone else been able to troubleshoot this issue?

+5
Monday, January 21st, 2013 AT 6:15 PM
ELECECAL

I have the same exact problem with my 2007 Altima. Heat only comes on ten to twenty minutes after running. I changed the blower motor got new one and still does the same thing. Can you please help me figure this out. I also brought it to my neighborhood service station and they do not know what is wrong with it either? Help please!
Elece

-2
Saturday, January 26th, 2013 AT 5:59 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

The blower motor is powered by a relay. Check the image attached. It shows the location for the blower motor relay. See if it is energizing as soon as the blower is switched on.

+1
Saturday, January 26th, 2013 AT 7:06 PM
ERIN664

I figured out the problem and solution We did exactly what you said and now we have heat any time we want it! The radio only works when it wants now, but we know how to fix that. Just have to buy new relay they are about $30.00.

Hi, I was able to fix the problem, the blower motor works great now. Here's what I did. That relay is located in the instrumental panel fuse box ( behind the fuse box). Remove the cover for the fuse box, you will see the fuses, unscrew one screw next to it, and there is one more screw to be removed, remove the panel below the steering wheel, it is very easy just pull it down. Now you have easy access to fuse box, on the other side of the box there are four blue identical relays ( part number ends on 42. There is about ten digits number). Relays are located like this. *__**__* ( relay 1, space, relay 2 relay 3, space, relay 4). Blower motor relay is relay 1. Ideally would be to replace it ( you can buy it at the dealership or online). What I did, I replaced relay 1 and relay 2 ( relay 2 is for radio), everything is working great both blower motor and radio, if one day radio stops working I know what to fix. But I need heater more than radio, specially living in Minnesota.

+17
Monday, February 11th, 2013 AT 1:40 AM
RIVERMIKERAT

Thanks for the update Erin664.

+1
Monday, February 11th, 2013 AT 6:45 PM
FELIXFLORES

Did you ever fix your problem with the AC/heater not turning on? If you did what was it?

Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 AT 5:03 PM
RIVERMIKERAT

Yes, she did. Her last post detailed what fixed it.

Wednesday, July 9th, 2014 AT 9:51 AM
KITA78
  • 2007 NISSAN ALTIMA

Please help! I can let my car warm up, the engine says warm on dash however there is no heat blowing threw the vents. The control knob is turned all the way up and there is no heat or air. After driving for about twenty minutes the heat comes on. What can this be? Please help

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 6:40 PM (Merged)

Check to make sure both hoses going to heater are hot then try unplugging hvac fuse for 60 seconds with key on it may reset the air mix motor as that may be the problem so no heat. It's fuse 3 and 6 in car this is for manual heat only if you set the temperature in your car then it has to be scanned for codes to see why air mix motor isn't working.

SUTTON SLAMA
  • 2003 NISSAN ALTIMA

There is no heat. It is very weak and the temperature gauge does not go up, but it bubbles out the radiator cap and it is very hot.

Have this checked for a blown head gasket after you fill the coolant system. That is why you do not have any heat, nothing there to send to heater. You can either pressure check or chemical check both at auto parts and they will rent pressure checker.

2CARPROS RENEE
  • 675 POSTS

Hi SUTTON SLAMA,

Here is a link to an article that features written step by step instructions, pictures, and a video showing you how to check for a blown head gasket yourself.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/head-gasket-blown-test

If you need further assistance please come back to the site we are here to help you.

Thank you for visiting 2CarPros.com.

Kindest regards,

Renee

CYNAIDO
  • 2005 NISSAN ALTIMA
  • 91 MILES

My problem is that there is no hot air blowing. The AC works fine but no heat. Can you help me diagnose the problem?

Check your actuators in the heater unit under the dash. Generic picture enclosed.

JAIMES81
  • 2005 NISSAN ALTIMA

AC has been working fine but when I switch the dial to hot air, cold air still continues to blow out.

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 6:41 PM (Merged)

Have the blend air door checked. It sounds like it is stuck.

+1
JAIMES81

Thanks. Do you know where that is located? Behind climate controls?

-1

It is located near the heater core, under the dash, passenger side.

+1