Engine Wont turn over

SLY74745@YAHOO.COM
  • 2 POSTS
  • 2006 JEEP LIBERTY

My 2006 jeep liberty, wont turn over, it has power to lights and all the switches work, put a new starter in, put a screw driver to starter and it turned over but would not start. Battery is good, 13.41 volts on the amp meter. Put it in neutral and park. Back and put new starter on, and still wont turn over, light and all the gauges work including locks and alarm, put a screw driver to starter, it turned over but still wont start, battery has 13.12 amps on the amp meter so battery is good. Put it in neutral and park back and forth, still nothing.

Monday, January 2nd, 2012 AT 8:49 PM

SUMOSUMO
  • 1 POST

I had the same terrible time with my liberty. No start lights and radio and acc work fine battery and starter fine but no crank the ignition actuator pin is broke in the steering column to verify no power going to your starter relay check fuse 28 with a voltmeter if fuse is good you should have 12v at the fuse when someone put the key to start you should get 12 volts.

If no remove the steering column cover 2 torx screws on bottom. Now check the red wire at the ignition switch hot all the time 12v now check the light blue / red wire at the ignition switch when you put the key to start position you should get 12v at the light blue /red wire if No your ignition actuator is the issue.

Remove the multi function switch on top remove the 2 torx screws and just move it to the side. Noe remove the 1 torx screw to free the ignition switch. Now remove the key cylinder put key in the RUN position and press the tab on the bottom on the cylinder and pull the lock out.

Now remove 2 torx screws on the plate on bottom. Just be careful you don't lose the spring that is inside of the plate. Now you can pull the ignition actuator and ignition switch out. Remove the harness from the ignition switch. Now just pull apart the actuator from the switch. You are going to need T-10 And T -20 security torx bits. Reverse process to install if your not sure just take some pics as you go.

Good Luck

+6
Sunday, March 13th, 2016 AT 7:09 AM
KEN

It sounds like you have a starter lay that is not working here's a guide to help you confirm the failure.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Here is the wiring diagrams and fuse and relay locations for your car.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.

Cheers, Ken

Thursday, December 21st, 2017 AT 12:55 PM
DG1012
  • 1 POST
  • 2005 JEEP LIBERTY

My daughter can drive the jeep for an hour or so and kill it, get back in it in 15 min or less and it will turn over but wont start. Let it set for 15 or so and it starts and runs fine!

+1
Thursday, December 21st, 2017 AT 12:55 PM (Merged)

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

-1
MKRAUSE
  • 5 POSTS
  • 2008 JEEP LIBERTY

Opened the locked Jeep with the remote, got in, turned the key, all the lights in the dash went on but the engine did not turn over. Currently, the remote(s) do not work. Headlights, turn signals, horn, power windows all work. Battery cables cleaned. Still the engine will not turn over. Had it towed to garage and the mechanic confirmed all the above and is stumped. Help please.

Thursday, December 21st, 2017 AT 12:56 PM (Merged)

You sure its not coming from the security system? When you turn key to cranking position do you hear the stater motor engaging the engine or nothing at all?

MKRAUSE
  • 5 POSTS

When turning the key there is a "clicking" noise.

MKRAUSE
  • 5 POSTS

Not sure about the security system. How would I check? The switch under the steering column?

Double check the battery and connections -check the stater relay and starter motor and also the ignition switch-

MKRAUSE
  • 5 POSTS

I will let the mechanic know this check list. I found an explaination of the security system that is not covered as well in the "Jeep manual" on this site. It would be nice if it was not a major issue! Thank you for all the suggestions in a timely manner!

MKRAUSE
  • 5 POSTS

UPDATE: Mechanic decided to disconnect the battery and go home last evening. Connected battery this morning, turned the key and it started! Remotes work! Mechanic drove the Jeep for a test drive, could not find any problems. Explaination? Computer reset? Got my ride back and only a bill for towing! Thank you for your assistance!

DEONHALLS
  • 1 POST
  • 2002 JEEP LIBERTY

I have change the spark plugs, I can here the fuel pump turn on. It acts like it wants to start, but it wont catch.

Go to this link for more information: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2002 JEEP LIBERTY

Will not start no spark?

Cranks but will not start replaced crank position sensor but still will not start.

Scan for codes and check fuel pressure first.

ELK43
  • 2 POSTS
  • 2004 JEEP LIBERTY

Was setting at a stop sing jeep started to run ruff like it wanted to stall check engine light begain to blink on and off. Steped on the gas and jeep ran fine to about 300 yards motor started to run ruff and banging. Motor dose not crank over now.

You might have froze the motor up if it were banging. Or soemthing is locking it up. Check your battery state and starter. You might also check to see if any oil is in it or not.

ELK43
  • 2 POSTS

Oil is good, was just changed. When I turn the key, motor will click. When stopped at stop sign lost RPM, then ran normal when stepped on gas.

Scan for codes, check fuel pressure clean throttle plateon both sides with choke cleaner. Check your starter for being bad, hit it on the body with a hammer an dif it starts you need another starer.

You say all is good, was just changed?

Did you actually pull the dipstick and look?

I'm not trying to be smart, it's just that things do happen! A rock could have knocked a hole in your pan, or Joe Goofus could've been on his cell phone, instead of paying attention, when he was working on changing your oil.

You might want to test your battery and charging system also, what is your battery voltage now? Investigate this link... Just throwing out other options!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2002-jeep-liberty-instrument-cluster-goin-on-off-now-quite-vehicle-still-mov

Return soon with your results, or a big ole smile!

The Medic