2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Possibly transmission

CGREENJULES
  • 2006 CHEVROLET COBALT
On my way to work this morning, the car started idling weird and the check engine light came on, so I pulled over and it died. I let it sit for about 10 min and started it. I was able to make it to work but while I was driving, the car was not shifting properly. The rpm's were staying at 2.5. It is an automatic. About a month ago I replaced the fuel filter and had the throttle body cleaned. Can you please give me an idea?
Monday, July 22nd, 2013 AT 7:33 AM

WRENCHTECH
The "check engine" light is an indicator for a system that monitors many electronic functions in the system, also called the "malfunction indicator lamp" (MIL). It can come on for any of hundreds of different causes from any of the systems that the computer monitors. Some are very important and can lead to further component or engine damage and some are emissions related not as serious but still a problem and need to be repaired.

Your first step is to have the computer scanned to retrieve the trouble codes that were set when the check engine light came on. Those codes will give you specific information about what the computer saw and will get you pointed in the right direction to find your problem. With a 1996 or newer and some 95 cars and you have an AutoZone or Advanced auto parts in your area, they will read them for free. Once you have these code numbers, we can be a lot more specific about what your problem may be.
Monday, July 22nd, 2013 AT 8:31 AM