Engine wont start

ANGELHR
  • 2006 CADILLAC STS

When I push start button nothing is displays on the dash and it doesn't start.

When I press star the dash goes off but car wont star five seconds later dash comes back on but car still doesn't star is like something is cutting off power from dash.

The security icon stays on but if I try to turn the ignition button of fit wont turn off it only stays in the accessories active.

Thursday, June 30th, 2011 AT 2:50 PM

FACTORYJACK

If that is the case, I would suggest having the signal at the starter checked. From the sound of it, the system is not seeing a problem with theft deterrent. The only other suggestion would be to install a scan tool and check for codes, and valid communications with all modules. One other thing you might try, is disconnecting both battery cables, shorting them together for a minute or two, reconnecting and attempting start. If there is a locked up module in the system disrupting the communication line, this procedure would correct that.

+6
Thursday, June 30th, 2011 AT 9:22 PM
ANGELHR

I try connecting mi snapon scanner but it cant scan it wont comunicate with vehicle it says there is no power from vehicle also in the display on dash is telling me to shift to park but the car is on parkin I also try the brake switch but stilll does the same thing you thing my theft module is active

+1
Friday, July 1st, 2011 AT 12:14 AM
FACTORYJACK

It could be a possibility that your scanner is not CAN capable, which is a communication standard on later models. Seriously, try the battery cable disconnect and short as described earlier. See if that helps, and reply to post.

-1
Friday, July 1st, 2011 AT 3:25 AM
ANGELHR

I have a new scanner I just bougth from snapon I try the cable short but still have the same problem I also try activating the alarm but it wont go off but the control unlocks and locks the doors

-1
Friday, July 1st, 2011 AT 3:57 AM
FACTORYJACK

If it continuously displays 'shift to park' with the key on, perhaps it is reading that it is in another gear. What happens if you turn the key on and move the shifter, what does the display indicate? If it will change on the display, try selecting neutral, and see if the vehicle will start then. There is a bulletin that may apply, it references checking the transmission connector for terminal issues. I have included it for your reference. I am not certain on the aftermarket scan tool, you would know more than I would on it's compatibility, but the fact it is not communicating may be telling you something. I work at a GM dealer, and use their equipment, so when there is a communication issue, I can be almost certain it is a problem with the vehicle.

#PIC4740B: No Crank Multiple Warning Telltales ON Trans Shift Hard - (Nov 19, 2008)

Subject: No Crank, Multiple Warning Telltales On, Trans Shifts Hard

Models: 2008-2009 Cadillac CTS w/ Automatic Transmission

2007-2009 Cadillac SRX w/ 6-Speed Transmission

2006-2007 Cadillac STS w/ 6-Speed Transmission

2008- 2009 Cadillac STS

2006-2008 Cadillac STS-V

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIC4740A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment about one or more of the following concerns.

The vehicle will not crank over and start.

Multiple warning telltales illuminate

The transmission shifts hard

The door locks cycle while driving

The diagnostic system check may reveal one or more of the DTC listed below are stored. The transmission control module (TCM) or engine control module (ECM) may not communicate with the scan tool. The cause may be unseated pins in the transmission connector.

C0242
ECM Indicated TCS Malfunction

C0561
System Disabled Information Stored

P0575
Cruise Control Switch Signal Circuit

P0615
Starter Relay Control Circuit

P0700
Transmission Control Module (TCM) Requested MIL Illumination

P0856
Traction Control Torque Request Circuit

P1629
Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Not Received

P2544
Transmission Torque Request Circuit

U0073
Controller Area Network (CAN) Bus Communication

U0100
Lost Communication With ECM/PCM

U0101
Lost Communication With TCM

U0121
Lost Communication With Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module

U0140
Lost Communication With Body Control Module

U2100

U2105
Lost Communication With Engine Control Module (ECM)

U2106
Lost Communication With Transmission Control Module (TCM)

Recommendation/Instructions:
Inspect the transmission connector terminal connections. Disconnect the connector and carefully tug on each wire to ensure the pins are fully seated. A side load on the wires may cause a false positive lock. Repair the connections as necessary.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Friday, July 1st, 2011 AT 4:46 AM
ANGELHR

Could you tell me were the tcm is located I check the transmission plug and everyting is ok when I try diagnose the car I only able to check antilock, airbags, tire monitor, everyting but not the engine

+1
Friday, July 1st, 2011 AT 3:49 PM
FACTORYJACK

The TCM is in the transmission. When you check these other modules, are any of them reporting no communication with the ECM/PCM?

+1
Friday, July 1st, 2011 AT 4:41 PM
ANGELHR

The transmission wont show on what gear is the car on but I star the car on from the fuseblock and drive it doesn't show the gear on the display no, p, r, n, 1, 2, 3, 4 is display

Friday, July 1st, 2011 AT 5:33 PM
FACTORYJACK

The gear range should always display on the info display. I have an 07 in my stall right now and confirmed this. If you can find out why the gear range is not present, than you will probably find the problem with no start. As far as the scan tool communications, it sounds like you may have an issue. I am not 100% certain, since I have no experience with that particular scan tool. The gear range is input to the TCM via the internal mode switch, which is also in the transmission. Is the mode switch faulty, I am not certain. Since you can not validate it through the TCM data. I would think that the vehicle would not drive, shift, or even move with no TCM functioning. The transmission is all electronic. As well as checking the transmission connector for backed out pins, terminal tension may be another thing to consider, as well as shorts to ground somewhere in the harness. The way the high speed LAN architecture is laid out, the ECM is the last in line, followed by the TCM which is next to last. Modules on the high speed line are option dependant, but the ecm and tcm are last in all cases. What this means is that you have wiring going down the rear of the engine over the bellhousing, and back to the ecm along the same path. If there is a short in a line, it will take the system down. I can sensd you schematic and you can check wires, but there are three possibilities. BAsed on whether the vehicle is just option UE1, UE1 and F55, or UE1 F55 and K59. The option sticker is under the spare tire cover.

Friday, July 1st, 2011 AT 6:09 PM
ANGELHR

The car has the UE1 option on the sticker could you send me theschemetic diagram thank's

Friday, July 1st, 2011 AT 7:21 PM
FACTORYJACK

Here it is, hopefully it is legible.

Friday, July 1st, 2011 AT 8:05 PM
ANGELHR

Could you tell mewhat is the ECU code B1000ECU malfuntion

Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 12:34 AM
FACTORYJACK

It designates an internal fault of the appropriate control module it is stored in. In most all cases, it is repaired simply by module replacement. Which ECU stored the fault?

Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 2:00 AM
ANGELHR

That means I have to change the ECM or what do I have to replace thank's your help

Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 2:36 AM
FACTORYJACK

If it is stored in the ECM, then yes, you would have to replace the ECM. You did not specify what module it was stored within.

Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 2:43 AM
ANGELHR

I don't remember if is the IPC or HVAC could you tell me were are they located the car stared a while ago but while it was on all the ligths in the dash came on I turn the car and it off try star it again but is doing same thing

Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 3:21 AM
FACTORYJACK

The IPC is right in front of the driver, the instrument panel cluster. The HVAC module is also the control head for the climate system.

-1
Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 3:40 AM
ANGELHR

Should I replace the instrument cluster thats the one the has the code or should I clear the code and try star the car

Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 5:24 AM
FACTORYJACK

I would not replace it at this point, I would focus more on why you can't communicate with the TCM or ECM. The IPC and the HVAC are on the low speed LAN communication line and should not cause a no start with just a general ECU malfunction code. If it is in fact in the HVAC module, which was one of the possibilities you listed, there is a bulletin on that.
#PIC4025: History DTC B1000 Set in HVAC - keywords battery CCP climate code control panel - (Apr 14, 2006)

Subject: History DTC B1000 Set In HVAC

Models: 2005-2006 Cadillac STS

Condition/Concern:
Technicians may discover a history DTC set in HVAC Climate Control Panel. This DTC can be set if power is lost to the HVAC control head due to a battery or HVAC Control Head disconnect.

Recommendation/Instructions:
This is a normal condition. There will be no symptoms associated with this code. Technicians should clear all DTCs if power is cycled to the HVAC control head.

Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 AT 2:53 PM
KARRARAL

Iam haveing the same problem and I dont know what to do.. Should I take it to the dealer or what. My car doesnt start and the dash keeeps on saying sheift to park. Also my dash doesnt show if im on p r n d.

-1
Tuesday, December 11th, 2012 AT 2:44 AM

Related Engine Not Starting Content

Engine Will Not Start
VIDEO

Recommended guides