Won't crank or start - U0100 Code

JAZZARO1
  • 2005 CADILLAC STS

Computer problem 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 72000 miles

I have a car with 3.6L V6 and 72k miles. When brake and Start Button are pushed the dash goes black, but interior lights stay on, and will not crank/start at all(no clicking, no nothing). After 10-15 seconds, dash lights come back up as if car is running, but engine has not started. All interior lights and gauges appear to be working properly. Tried jumping the car, no go. Took the battery to be tested and it tested okay but I purchased a replacement just to be sure as the dealer had replaced the battery under warranty just 2 years before when this happened. The car still will not start. I checked the codes and only get one trouble code, U0100 "Lost communication with Engine Control Module/Powertrain control module A." I have seen several other posts on other sites regarding starting problems, but curiously, no one has posted their final resolution. Thanks.

Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 3:13 PM

2CARPROS KEN

Hi,

U0100 communications been established with the ECM (data display and codes from the ecm itself) I know you mentioned jumping the vehicle, but has it experienced a low voltage condition. It sounds like the battery is no good or you have dirty battery cables.

Try this test.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-load-test

Please let us know what you find.

Monday, April 11th, 2016 AT 2:03 PM
2CARPROS KEN

The user never got back to us which is a shame, the fix would have helped a lot of people. If I were to guess I would say it was the BCM itself has burned out which would cost some $$ so they might be mad about it and that's why they don't get back or it was an easy battery replacement problem.

IF you find out please let us know it would help many others.

Best, Ken

-1
Thursday, September 29th, 2016 AT 9:35 AM
MRHARLEYMAN

I have the exact same problem. Have checked all fuses and they are fine. I had been driving the car the day it started the issue. Came home shut off car, went back outside to leave and it wouldn't start. Gauges came on but went out after I pushed start button. Then it started on its own. Then it wouldn't start again. Replaced battery still no start. Guess I'm going to have it towed to the dealer. My car only has 95,000 miles on it. I'm second owner and purchased it when it had 33,000 miles. No other problems to speak of.

-2
Sunday, November 20th, 2016 AT 10:27 AM
2CARPROS KEN

That is weird, no one has gotten back to us on this problem. It sure sounds like a BCM to me but with having the car in front of me it's tough to tell.

When you find out can you please get back to us so it will help others?

Best, Ken

Sunday, November 20th, 2016 AT 10:42 AM
MRHARLEYMAN

Yes, I had it towed to the dealer yesterday, said it would be a few days before they can get to it.

Thursday, November 24th, 2016 AT 7:02 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Sounds good! I an extremely interested in what happens.

Best, Ken

Saturday, November 26th, 2016 AT 7:09 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey,

Did you ever get the problem fixed?

Cheers, Ken

Monday, June 5th, 2017 AT 6:12 PM