AC problems

BKAEMPFE1989
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • 102 MILES

I have a 2005. Chevy silverado 4.3l and have ac problems I cehecked refridgerent its good actually all they way in red (but I figured its cuz it isn't working) and I have power going to compressor clutch the blower motor still works just blows hot fuses are good and I can spin the clutch on the front ofnthencompressor by hand but it wont spin with ac on its an expensive fix and I don't have money to get it tested and then fixed going through a rough patch with money and I live in Texas so yeah its hot and ac was prologue used a lot before I got the truck it worked. Great then one day just stopped do you think you can help determain the problem. Thanks

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 AT 5:47 PM

SATURNTECH9

We need to see what the high and low pressures are not just the diy gauge says its in the red. So the ac compressor doesnt engage when turning on the ac?

-1
Thursday, July 26th, 2012 AT 6:14 PM
BKAEMPFE1989

No it doesn't engage with ac on I thought one time when trying to find the problem the compressor made a click noise but I'm not sure if it came from that or not it just sounded ike I did if that helps but the clutch never started spinning I'm not sure about the click noise like I said.I thought it might of came from the compressor

Friday, July 27th, 2012 AT 4:28 AM
SATURNTECH9

Alright the first thing I do is check the high and low pressures when checking the ac.

Friday, July 27th, 2012 AT 4:35 AM
BKAEMPFE1989

How would I go about doing that I don't think I have the resources to do so I have the diy gauge you know the one from a walmart or something

Friday, July 27th, 2012 AT 4:59 AM
SATURNTECH9

You would have to get a manifold gauge set with the hoses and the high and low gauges. They even sell them at harbor frieght tools.I bought one from there a couple of years ago that iam still using till I get the money for a better set.

Friday, July 27th, 2012 AT 5:12 AM
BKAEMPFE1989

Ok can you give me steps of what should do and what kind of pressure should be in the hoses? And if they aren't what they aren't what they should be what would that mean I need or if they are at the right pressure what would be next step? I'm going to try and do it while at work tomorrow so I wont have Internet connection to follow up with you till after 5 I'm a golfcart mechanic so we have a lot of other tools and things where it is easy to work on my truck there

Friday, July 27th, 2012 AT 5:21 AM
SATURNTECH9

Skewed pressures could be all kinds things deoending on what they read. You said the compressor doesnt even come on so the first thing we need to do is see what the high and low pressures are?They should be even without the compresor running. Probably around 100psi also you need to pay attenion if the ac compressor comes on cycles etc?If it cycles what is the high and low pressures when the compressor turns off?Does the truck run hot?

Friday, July 27th, 2012 AT 5:31 AM
SATURNTECH9

Also make sure the manifold gauges are closed before hooking up the hoses to the truck. If there are valves on the hose ends that hook up to your truck then make sure they are turned all the way counter clock wise before hooking them to your truck. Then once there hooked up then screw them down when removing the hoses from the truck turn the valves back clock wise before removing them.

Friday, July 27th, 2012 AT 5:35 AM
BKAEMPFE1989

The psi is good on the lines and no the compressor doesn't kick on or cycle or anything

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 12:17 AM
SATURNTECH9

Alright what are the actual pressures readings high and low side?You telling me there ok doesnt tell me much. Also you said you have power to the ac clutch?I just caught that part if you do and the terminal isnt open and the power is at the terminal sounds like a bad ac compressor clutch. Also do you have auto climate control or manual ac?

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 1:06 AM
BKAEMPFE1989

Yes I have power to the clutch and its manual climate control but the lights went out on it idk if that matters it all still works if I put to floor it goes to floor and defrost still does it just the illumination lights aren't working anymore. So you know I good places to get AC compressor clutch I also heard if the clutch goes out then there's probably not much life span on the compressor left and since I live in Texas I'm wondering if you think it would be better to get both or if it matters

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 1:27 AM
SATURNTECH9

The way I always decide on to replace the clutch or the whole compressor is by the price difference.I would check www. Rockauto. Com also I copy and paste the part numbers to amazon to see which is cheaper with shipping.

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 1:36 AM
BKAEMPFE1989

Cool, thanks man I really appreciate it it has been I really hot ride and working in the heat. Blows when I can't get in a air conditioned truck

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 2:59 AM
SATURNTECH9

If your tight on money your best bet would be to go with just the clutch for now. Because betime you buy the compressor drier orifice tube charge etc thats a lot in parts alone.

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 3:02 AM
BKAEMPFE1989

To have to buy a new drier and all the above when I buy a new compressor? And what about a salvage yard for the clutch or would you just suggest getting a new or rebuilt clutch from that site or Amazon I looked online its going for about 180 to 200 hundred just for the clutch

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 4:29 AM
SATURNTECH9

Yes those are things you should change with the ac compressor and have to replace to get a warranty on the new compressor. What size engine do you have?

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 5:47 AM
SATURNTECH9

Also do you have the denso compressor?

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 5:48 AM
BKAEMPFE1989

2005 V6 4.3L single cab silverado 102, xxx miles and Idk what kind of compressor it is

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 3:27 PM
SATURNTECH9

If you read the part description on rock auto it shows two different parts one for a denso compressor and one for another compressor. See if it says denso on the compressor or something else. Also if you click on the part number at rock auto it will tell you all the vechiles the part fits. So that way if you went to pick apart to find it you would know where to look. It fits a pretty wide range of vechiles.

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 3:35 PM
BKAEMPFE1989

OK I will check that out and let you know also I have another question my oil gauge is supposed to be at about 60psi I guess I have good compression but the needle sits right under 40 and goes up to 60 when I'm on the gas and my speedometer will just suddenly quit working also I heard maybe the oil sending unit for my oil pressure probably do you have any ideas on the two

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 11:35 PM