Jeep wont turn over

BVAN1
  • 2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
  • AWD
2004 jeep grand cherokee laredo 6 cylendar wont start after getting water over the hood in a river crossing, what may be the problem.
Sunday, January 30th, 2011 AT 7:35 AM

If the water was above the hood, the engine sucked water into it through the intake. First, if I am correct, the starter will no longer turn crank the engine. If that is correct, then you have water in the cylenders. Remove the spark plugs (mark the wires) and crank the engine till all water comes out. Next, change the oil because it is most likely contaminated with water too. Remember, water doesn't compress like air, so there is a change you bent a connecting rod or caused other internal damage to the engine. You will know once we get the water out of the engine.

Once the water is out, spray some penetrating oil into each cylender to help prevent rusting. Allow the plugs to stay out for at least over night so any water can evaporate. If you have a compressor, try to blow out any water that still may be in there.

Next, check to make sure you are getting spark to the plugs. Since you already have them out, you may want to just replace them. If you have spark, replace the plugs and keep your fingers crossed. If the engine starts and there is no knocking or ticking, you save it. If there is knocking and rough idle, chances are there is internal engine damage.

Please note that I am basing my response on the fact that the engine was covered under water while it was running which would have caused it to take in water. If the starter is turning the engine over and it won't start, let me know. Don't forget to change the oil before running it.

Sunday, January 30th, 2011 AT 8:04 AM
BVAN1
The engine died as soon as water went up over the hood. I tried to restart it imidiatly and it only turned over for a split second. We then pullrd it up onto dry land(it was submerged to the bottom of the doors for @ 1hour) then tryed to start it, unsucssfully, then we hooked up jumper cables and it didnt do anything. I have power to all obvious electronics 7 it started to crank slightly but did not turn over at all almost like a loose battery connection. We pulled the air filter out and it was soaked. If these things change your answer or ideas on the initial claening and attemp to start please let me know. Also if there are other precautions we should take please let me know, thank you. Its much appriciated. Brooke
Sunday, January 30th, 2011 AT 9:09 AM
Don't crank it anymore until you remove the plugs. The cylenders are full of water and it will cause internal damage if you try to force it. Basically, you have hydrostatic lock. Remove the plugs and crank it. You will see water will come out of the cylenders and the engine should crank unless damage has already been done.

Brooke, trust me. Remove the plugs, mark the wires so you can get them back to the correct cylender. If the engine cranks with the plugs out, I am correct.

Let me know what you find.

Sunday, January 30th, 2011 AT 7:08 PM