1. Possible causes for DTC to set are: defective ignition coil No. 3, defective PCM, or defective connectors or wiring.
2. Turn ignition off. Disconnect ignition coil connector. Turn ignition on. Using scan tool, actuate Auto Shutdown (ASD) relay. Using a test light connected to ground, probe Brown/White wire at ignition coil harness connector. If test light illuminates brightly, go to next step. If test light does not illuminate brightly, repair open or high resistance in Brown/White wire between ASD relay and ignition coil. ASD relay is located in Integrated Power Module (IPM). IPM is located on left side of engine compartment, next to battery.
3. Using a test light connected to positive battery voltage, probe Dark Blue/Orange wire at ignition coil harness connector while cranking engine for 5 seconds. If test light does not blink/flicker, go to next step. If test light blinks/flickers, replace ignition coil.
4. Turn ignition off. Ensure ignition coil is disconnected. Disconnect PCM connectors. PCM is located on left side of engine compartment, near front of battery. Measure resistance of Dark Blue/Orange wire between ignition coil harness connector and terminal No. 2 at PCM C1 harness connector. If resistance is less than 5 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is 5 ohms or more, repair open in Dark Blue/Orange wire.
5. Measure resistance between ground and Dark Blue/Orange wire at ignition coil harness connector. If resistance is 100 k/ohms or more, go to next step. If resistance is less than 100 k/ohms, repair short to ground in Dark Blue/Orange wire between ignition coil and PCM.
6. At this time, PCM is assumed to be defective. Replace PCM. Program the new PCM. See PROGRAMMING.
7. At this time, conditions for DTC to set do not exist or fault is an intermittent problem. Start engine and allow it to idle. Ensure engine is at normal operating temperature. Using scan tool, monitor parameters related to DTC while wiggling connectors and wiring harness. If value changes while wiggling connectors and wiring harness, repair connectors and wiring harness where wiggling caused value to change. If value does not change, review Freeze Frame data using scan tool. Attempt to duplicate condition that caused DTC to set. Check for any related technical service bulletins that may apply. Visually inspect related connectors and wiring harness. Repair connectors and wiring harness as necessary
Wednesday, March 15th, 2017 AT 1:00 PM