Wont start

DECRANE
  • 2002 CHEVROLET IMPALA

2002 3.4 impala turns over but wont replaced fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter checked fuel pressure reads 50 has spark just wont start up any ideas I thought maybe crank sensor but if that was bad it would not have spark. When you turn the key to the on position it comes up red battery light then goes to solid orange or yellow security then back to battery light back and fourth I have read alot about the security system shut down but wouldn't that disable fuel pump that what I have read anyways pump is working has spark and rolls over just wont fire up I read if its the security issue the car wont even turn over. I have it sitting in garage now with key in on position letting it sit like that for 20 minutes or so I read that resets the security problem if that is even what is wrong

thanks for you help thanks

Saturday, October 20th, 2012 AT 1:11 AM

SATURNTECH9

On that car the fuel injectors are disabled i posted how to relearn the pass lock try that and see if it starts.If it does you will need your body control module scanned for codes.The pass lock sensor failing on those is common.

Here is a guide to help you as well.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system

Check out this guide as well

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Then you have a pass lock issue get the body control module scanned for codes?Let me know the exact codes if you have a B2960 and or B3033 then most likely you have a bad pass lock sensor.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers

Saturday, October 20th, 2012 AT 2:59 AM
DECRANE

Hey! It started right up thanks for the tip :) I love this site, you guys are great.

Saturday, October 20th, 2012 AT 4:11 AM
SATURNTECH9

Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Cheers

Saturday, October 20th, 2012 AT 7:05 AM
COUNTRYFARMBOY
  • 2002 CHEVROLET IMPALA

Electrical problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 95,000 miles

Wow, this is a tough problem. But first the history. A year or so ago, if the blower was left on and I would start the car, the radio would go into "locked" mode. If I turned off the blower, and restarted the car, the radio would work. I just learned to live with this. Then it started happening without the blower on. I lived with it. A few months ago the battery light would come on and go off maybe once a week during normal driving for a few minutes. I wired a voltmeter to a cigarette plug for easy diagnoses to check the voltage when the light came on while I was driving and the lighter plug was dead. The fuse still looked good. I didn't fix this. About a month ago while driving, all the gauges (tach-speedo-gas-etc) would turn off for 10-20 seconds and then come back on with a chiming sound. The traction control would be off, the air bag light on and the security light on and the radio would be locked again. Over the last week, it has been happening more and more. Well today I go out and the car will not start, I would turn the key and get nothing, no clicking, nothing except I think for the engine light. I figured I left the lights on, and put a charger on the battery. After an hour I went out to see if it would start, and get nothing. The gauges come on, but no starter. I checked the battery charger and it is only putting out 10 amps and the charger was set to 50 amps, which usually means the battery is not dead. When I turn the key, I hear a small click like a relay and I determined it was either the Retained AccsryPwr Relay or the Retained Accsry Pwr Brkr under a large black cover. I can't determine which one is clicking as they both feel like they are. I did some research on the starting issue that happened today and saw that a "passlock ignition cylinder" could be the problem, I hope not, as this sounds expensive. I'm hoping that there is one cause to these problems and not a combination of many. Money is tight here in Michigan. 8-( Any help would be appreciated. My horse is affraid I will be riding him into the big city tomorrow. 8-)

Sunday, December 3rd, 2017 AT 4:49 PM (Merged)
JAMES W.

Well, it sounds like the way your luck is going, if you rode the horse into the city, the horse would short out and you'd have to worry about how to get the horse home.
Anyway, on to your problem. Usually when you have this much "crossover" between accessories, it's a ground problem. Either a cluster ground under the dash or a body or engine ground. In most newer cars nowadays they don't use the positive (HOT) wire to turn things on and off, they use the ground. This holds true for everything from your headlights to the fuel injectors. What we need to do first is the the negative grounds under the hood to make sure the body and engine are grounded to the battery. Check that out and get back to me. In the interum, I'll pull up a schematic on the ground locations inside the car and we'll go from there.

-2
COUNTRYFARMBOY

Hello James,

Thanks for the reply. This problem has been very irritating, but at least the car would start and drive. Now it will not start. Any ideas on this one? I will check for voltage at the solenoid later today. What does a body control module do?

JAMES W.

The BCM controls all your lighting inside and out plus, alternator charging, horn, door locks. Security system and "Accessory voltage". I've pulled some diagrams on your car since my last post. If you have, or have access to, a fax #, I will ship these to you. I can attach them to this post, but wiring diagrams don't come through very well. With these, you will more understand what I'm talking about. Please advise.
An addition to this post: There is a "crank relay" located under the hood in the block above the right strut tower. You may want to check this out. I'm betting there's no power to the coil on "key start".

-1
COUNTRYFARMBOY

Hello James,

I've been busy with other crazy stuff like fixing my furnace and replacing a power steering pump on my GMC Safari van. What an ordeal on the van! I come out of the computer field and there is a free program we use to send copies to each other versus faxing them. I had a customer tell me that faxing is "So 90's"! The link to the website is www. Fineprint. Com They have a free software program that allows you to convert a scanned document to a pdf file and then e-mail it. The program on their website is called pdfFactory. It also allows you to take a document on your screen and save it as a pdf file or e-mail the document. I use it all the time. If your fax machine is an "AIO" All-In-One printer, it will allow you to save the documents as scanned images and then they can be e-mailed to anyone. It's pretty nice as you scan it one, save it one your hard drive and it is always available to you for further use. I do have a fax machine, but it is in a box and I haven't even opened it yet! I've had it for a month and haven't had time to set it up. In my experience, faxes come out pretty bad also. If you prefer to fax it, let me know and I will set-up the fax machine and have it ready for the fax. Also on the starting issue, after setting for a day, the car has started fine. I've driven it on maybe 10 short trips just in case the problem happens again with no starting issues, but the wife as lost all faith in the car and will not drive it until I "FIX" it. How do you fix a problem that's not happening? I will check the crank relay under the hood and tell the wife I cleaned the contacts and that was the problem! Maybe it will be or maybe it won't, but I can't fix it if it isn't broken. Lets just hope she's not 30 miles away if it does decide to fail!

BERNIE-BROWN10
  • 2002 CHEVROLET IMPALA

2002 Chevy Impala 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

when I go to start my car sometimes it will not start all lights go on and the car doesnt turn over after a few times of turning the key to make it start it fires up no problem just had the starter replaced

JAMES W.

You're a guy after my own heart when it comes to my wife and her car ('04 Impala). You can't fix it, if it ain't broke. I usually, basically, tell her what she wants to hear, and worry about the consequences later.
Thanks for the info on the program. I'll check it out. My printer is an AIO, and this may be usefull. I can post diagrams to this site but, we are so limited in pixels, most detailed electricals come through like they've been through the washer. Plus, we don't have access to posters' email addresses unless they give them to us. Catch 22. If I can help you further, you know where to find me.

Could be the starter relay, park and neutral switch and ignition switch-that's if battery condition and connections are good.

+1
COUNTRYFARMBOY

Hello James,

Wow, I go out to move the Impala and it will not start, not click nothing. I poped the hood and found the relay you talked about. I pulled it out and the contacts look good. I am going to head out there with a volt meter in a few and see if I get voltage to the relay trigger pin. If I do not, what is the cause for this? I'm glad it's 50 degrees today and it will be about the same tomorrow. I just hope the problem is still there. When the car fails to start, I get a grinding noise from the gauge panel for about a second. That's the best I can explain the sound. I just put in a new blower resistor in the Impala yesterday and it just sucked! It took 1 1/2 hours trying to squeeze under the dash, but it works now and the wife is happy now until she gets home tonight and I tell her it will not start again.

COUNTRYFARMBOY

Hello James,

I did a test and there is 12 volts at terminal 30 which is good as it is the battery voltage. Terminal 85 has voltage when the key is turned to the start position. The other two pins do not have any voltage when the key is turned. I did the testing with the relay removed. I used the battery as my ground for the meter. I might have another relay with the same pin configuration and will maybe try this tomorrow. The wife knows it didn't start, as she was my key turner!

JAMES W.

With the luck you're having with that Chevy, how's the horse doin'?
I attached a couple diagrams. We'll see how they come through.

Here are some guides to help us with the testing.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers,

+1
JMDM
  • 2002 CHEVROLET IMPALA

Hello my car wont start it is not the battery or the starter or the ignition switch. All the lights come on. But when I Tue on my turn signals it makes a wining noise. Please help

COUNTRYFARMBOY

Hello James,

Here's a trick you can use to send the images. Click on the Mitchell screen so that it is the active one and then hold down the alt key and then hit the print screen key. It's located near the upper right hand side of the keyboard between the insert and pause/break keys. This will only capture the Mitchell screen and it will be much larger. You can then paste it into an e-mail by holding down the ctrl key and hitting V. Hit the enter key a few times to leave space for other screen prints if there are more than one that you want to paste. You can send the e-mail to my new e-mail account, countryfarmboy@mail. Com. I also noticed there is a print button on the Mitchell screen near the upper right hand side that would let you print this to a pdf file if you downloaded and installed pdfFactory. It would then give you an option to e-mail me the print screens. What is really nice about this program is that if you hit the print button 3 or 4 different times, it just appended the screen to the end of the document and makes it one long document, instead of many small documents. I did go out and install two different relays I had from a junk car iin place of the starter relay and had no luck. At least it is 55 degrees outside today. I'm surprised 2carpros does not have a way for you to contact me. CFB

Try resetting security system.

COUNTRYFARMBOY

Hello James,

Unless you have a better monitor than me, I can't read the wiring diagrams you posted. My monitor is a 20.1" display. I hope to figure this out soon as I drove the car today and the chime which actually chimes 3 or 4 times was actually chiming like a busy signal on the phone for about 5 minutes! I've never had that happen before. Can you send them to the e-mail account I created in the previous post?

COUNTRYFARMBOY

Hello James,

I received the diagrams. They came through great. I guess my next item it to go through and check all the ground connections. I will work my way backwards from the gauge ground first. My guess is it has to be close to that or else I would be having other issues. Hmm, maybe the starter and lighter issues are all ground related!

Thanks, I'll spend time under the dash.

SWHAT33
  • 2002 CHEVROLET IMPALA

2002 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

My "02 Impala will turn over but not start. This happened one morning out of the blue when the wife was leaving for work. I have replaced the fuel filter, wires, and plugs. The security light is not on and it will try to start but will not. I tried to hold the gas to the floor and it started but ran really bad, missing and sputtering, then died.
Is there a sensor that could cause this?