2001 Dodge Durango Heater not blowing air

SHANNONT
  • 2001 DODGE DURANGO
The heating in my Durango was working fine, and it suddenly stopped blowing air while I was driving. The rear heaters still blow air fine, and I can feel slight hot air when I put my hand against the vents and the defroster in the front, but there is no force. Before it stopped working, it would mostly only blow air on the highest setting. Now it doesn't blow on any setting. Is this likely a blown fuse, or is it something else? And how would I fix it?
Monday, November 9th, 2015 AT 9:05 PM

It could be a fuse, but not in the sense you're used to. The common failure is the fan motor bearings get tight, and that makes the motor draw higher current than normal. The fuse is a thermal fuse built into the resistor assembly. Most people just replace the resistor assembly but that is going to fail again in short order. The fan motor must be replaced too.
Monday, November 9th, 2015 AT 9:32 PM
SHANNONT
How much does replacing both usually. Cost?
Tuesday, November 10th, 2015 AT 12:27 PM
We don't get involved with costs here because there's too many variables. You can look up the parts on any auto parts store's web site. That will give you an idea, but you'll pay more at a repair shop, just like you pay more at any other retail store.

Replacing the resistor assembly usually takes just a few minutes. The fan motor could be a simple job or very involved. I never did one on your model, but any repair shop can give you an estimate. Most of them go by a "flat rate" manual that lists labor times for each procedure. That way they all charge you for the same amount of time. Only their hourly charge will vary.

You have to remember that the cause of the problem hasn't been properly diagnosed yet. I only went by the symptoms you described. You could have a bad switch assembly too, especially if you use the heater fan on the higher speeds a lot. That increases the current flow through the switch and can easily overheat the contacts. That can result in one or multiple speeds not working at first.
Wednesday, November 11th, 2015 AT 6:58 PM