Intermitten starting issues

JOHNSGOULD
  • 2000 TOYOTA CELICA
Just bought this car for my kid and when you turn the key to start it, sometimes it works, sometime it does not.

I have held the key all the way forward and it has then turned over, but ussually when I recycle the key and wait 5 seconds, it will then fire.

Does this sometimes.

I have replaced the starter, the relay and jumped the switch at the clutch pedal (manual trans).

Next is the Ignition switch?

No codes come up when scanned with a code scanner (Looked for a ECM issue)

Thursday, March 8th, 2012 AT 9:35 PM

Intermittents are hard to find but here is a schematic of the start system for you to check. Look a the main fusiblelink where the arrow is. Check for maybe one or two strands of wires still connected. If that's is like that replace the whole llink. Ancd checkthe fuses underhood as well as the relay. The relay may have corrosion on it, if it doesn try cleaning it as well as the spade connector then put some dielectric compound on it to get better contact.
Thursday, March 8th, 2012 AT 9:56 PM
JOHNSGOULD
Link looked ok. Added new ground strap to motor as well.

Put in a new starter relay but the old one was probally ok.

How hard to put in a new ignition switch?
Thursday, March 8th, 2012 AT 10:11 PM
Removal

1. Disconnect and shield negative battery cable. Remove steering wheel. See STEERING WHEEL & AIR BAG. Remove upper and lower steering column covers. Remove combination switch (if necessary).
2. Disconnect ignition switch harness connectors. If shear bolt studs are accessible, use a hacksaw to cut slots into exposed studs. Using a screwdriver, remove studs.
3. If shear bolt studs are recessed or hard to reach with a hacksaw, center punch studs. Using a drill bit and screw extractor, remove studs. Remove ignition switch, column upper bracket and lock cylinder.
4. To remove lock cylinder from column upper bracket, place ignition key to ACC position. Using a screwdriver, push down on stop pin located on side of column upper bracket. Pull out lock cylinder.

Installation

1. To install, reverse removal procedure. Install NEW shear bolts. Tighten shear bolts finger tight. Ensure proper operation of ignition switch and lock cylinder.
2. Tighten shear bolts until heads break off. Install combination switch, upper and lower steering column covers and steering wheel. Tighten steering wheel nut to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS. Make absolutely sure that you disconnect the battery so the air bag won'texplode on you. This should really be done by a pro. Also if you have a tilt wheel it's different procedure.
Thursday, March 8th, 2012 AT 11:14 PM
JOHNSGOULD
Wow. Maybe a dealer is the best guy to do this.
Thursday, March 8th, 2012 AT 11:23 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
No. You can do it quite easily. The directions above are for R&R of the ignition lock cylinder. Here they are for the actual ignition switch. Test it with a meter or test light before deciding it needs to be changed.

STEERING COLUMN SWITCHES -2000 Toyota Celica GT
Page 1 of 1
IGNITION SWITCH
Removal & Installation
1.
Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove upper and lower steering column covers (it may be necessary to first remove lower instrument panel trim panel). Remove outer plastic trim cover
from lock cylinder assembly (if equipped).
2. Disconnect ignition switch harness connector(s). Remove screw(s) retaining ignition switch to lock cylinder. Remove ignition switch from lock cylinder. To install, reverse removal procedure.
Monday, March 12th, 2012 AT 12:39 AM