1. Disconnect and shield negative battery cable. Remove steering wheel. See STEERING WHEEL & AIR BAG. Remove upper and lower steering column covers. Remove combination switch (if necessary).
2. Disconnect ignition switch harness connectors. If shear bolt studs are accessible, use a hacksaw to cut slots into exposed studs. Using a screwdriver, remove studs.
3. If shear bolt studs are recessed or hard to reach with a hacksaw, center punch studs. Using a drill bit and screw extractor, remove studs. Remove ignition switch, column upper bracket and lock cylinder.
4. To remove lock cylinder from column upper bracket, place ignition key to ACC position. Using a screwdriver, push down on stop pin located on side of column upper bracket. Pull out lock cylinder.
1. To install, reverse removal procedure. Install NEW shear bolts. Tighten shear bolts finger tight. Ensure proper operation of ignition switch and lock cylinder.
2. Tighten shear bolts until heads break off. Install combination switch, upper and lower steering column covers and steering wheel. Tighten steering wheel nut to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS. Make absolutely sure that you disconnect the battery so the air bag won'texplode on you. This should really be done by a pro. Also if you have a tilt wheel it's different procedure.
Thursday, March 8th, 2012 AT 11:14 PM