1993 Toyota Celica No action when starting.

RAYHARKLEROAD
  • 1993 TOYOTA CELICA
In May I had the battery and alternator replaced on my 1993 Toyota Celica. Yesterday when I attempted to start the vehicle, nothing happened. No lights/no radio/no action. I did jumpt the vehicle and took it to a mechanic who confirmed that the battery and alternator were OK, and the car started immediately without a jump.
Today, same problem recurred. No lights/no radio/no action. Can't figure out why will run for the day but nothing on the day following. Battery is good, alternator is good. Can you suggest a solution?
Saturday, September 19th, 2009 AT 2:03 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi RayHarkleroad,

Thank you for the donation.

Seems problem is with battery power. As the charging system and battery are confirmed to be working correctly and vehicle starts with a jump, I would suggest checking for power drain.

One of the components could be faulty causing the battery to be drained when left parked.

Most common would be the brake lights, a faulty switch would leave the lights on all the time.
Next would be relays. Sometimes relays tends to stick and this would cause the components concerned to be powered even when the ignition is turned OFF.
Other items to check would be accassories.

Get a power drain test to check if the battery is draining while parked.
Sunday, September 20th, 2009 AT 3:36 AM
RAYHARKLEROAD
There is no battery drain - both the battery and the alternator are doing fine. Problem is that when I put the key in the ignition and crank, nothing happens.

Once I have started the car using a jump, the "repair" is good for the day, but next morning, an attempt to start again is without success. There is no life - no lights on the dash, no cranking of the engine, absolutely nothing. A quick jump brings everything back to good and remains that way for the day, but a repeat of the problem occurs the following mornng.
Sunday, September 20th, 2009 AT 7:33 AM
KHLOW2008
There must be a battery drain somewhere to cause the battery to go flat.

Check the battery terminal connections to be sure they are providing the correct contact.
Sunday, September 20th, 2009 AT 10:21 AM
RAYHARKLEROAD
The battery is NOT going flat! The battery and the alternator are fine. When parked overnight, the next morning when starting is attempted, nothing is happening. No lights/no crank/no nothing. The battery is testing fully charged, the alternator is putting out well, and when restart is attempted on the same day, nothing is a problem. Next morning though, nothing at all.
Battery cables are clean and well attached.
Sunday, September 20th, 2009 AT 10:25 AM
KHLOW2008
You mentioned a jump start works, if that is the case, how can the battery be fully charged?
Sunday, September 20th, 2009 AT 10:41 AM
RAYHARKLEROAD
You are asking to evaluate but I am only stating the facts. Yes, the battery is fine and yes a jump works to get it started. I am trying to determine the problem and find a solution. These are facts.
The battery cables appear to have no problem (checked both by me and Sears), and if that is the case, what would cause this scenario?
Sunday, September 20th, 2009 AT 10:47 AM
KHLOW2008
If a jump start works, either the battery is bad or you have connections problems. I do not understand why you insist that the battery is fully charged.

What is the battery voltage when it does not crank?
After installation of the jump cables, does the dash indicators come on?
Sunday, September 20th, 2009 AT 10:52 AM
RAYHARKLEROAD
The battery is fine and alternator output is fine as confirmed by testing at Sears. Do the dash lights come on when cables attached? Don't know that answer - simply did not observe when I jumped the vehicle.
The key was not in the on position when the cables were attached, and when I got into the car to start, it immediately cranked with the key. And as I said, once started, I had no further problem that day. The problem recurred the next morning, indicating no resolutin was found.
Sunday, September 20th, 2009 AT 10:59 AM
KHLOW2008
When there is a battery drain, it means the power from the battery has been drained off. After starting, the battery is recharged as the charging system and battery is good. When tests are made, this would show them to be good.

After parking overnight, if a component that is supposed to be OFF is working, it would be draining the battery and causing it to go flat. When you try to restart, you do not have power. Check the battery voltage when you could not start and not after running engine.
Sunday, September 20th, 2009 AT 11:07 AM
RAYHARKLEROAD
Of course I have no means to check the battery in the morning as I lack any such test equipment. However, the likelyhood of my starting the car with a jump and fully recharging causes me doubt. The drive to Sears is less than 3 miles and less than 10 minutes.
I don't know that what you are suggesting so far is addressing the issue, but I can see if there is anything that might be draining the battery. The only thing that comes to mind is a roof light that has never worked well, and I did recently place a bulb in there even though it did not correct the roof light.
Any other suggestions?
Sunday, September 20th, 2009 AT 11:52 AM
KHLOW2008
For a battery that is drained and in good condition, it does not require a long time for it to be recharged. Without the ability to test the battery voltage, you have no means to understand the battery condition at that instant. When it works with a jumper, it definitely indicates a battery power problem.

Did you check if the dash indicator lights turns on when ignition key is turned to ON?
Are the headlights, horns and hazard lights working when you were not able to start?
If you have not removed the battery terminals, disconnect them and check for contaminations. Clean them if necessary.

Check the battery negative ground to body connections.

The non working roof light should not be the cause.

A stuck fan relay would cause the fans to remain on without stopping and it could be intermittent.
Sunday, September 20th, 2009 AT 11:40 PM