WHY DOES MY CAR OVER HEAT AFTER GETTING OFF THE FREEWAY

1998 Honda Civic

kickjon1985

June, 25, 2012 AT 1:00 AM

Recently, about a month ago I replaced the radiator in my civic because the radiator had a hole that had started to spew coolant. Other than the leak of coolant the system worked fine no problems with overheating at all. After replacing the radiator the system started heating up (not overheating completely but close once), but only when getting off the freeway. I have replaced the radiator cap, the upper and lower hoses, the thermostat, the clamps on the upper and lower hoses from jesus christ clamps to regular kind, and still heating up. Now during normal in city driving it doesnt heat up like that at all only after being at high rpms. Someone told me a blow head gasket but I have never overheated the car and and it worked fine before I replaced the radiator(of course for the leak). Any ideas?

June, 25, 2012 AT 1:09 AM

Try bleeding the cooling system -start here-let me know

kickjon1985

June, 25, 2012 AT 1:35 AM

I have done this and the same thing still. I parked it with the nose up hill and ran the car with the radiator cap off till the thermostat opened and saw coolant flowing, and kept refilling till it didnt need it any more.

June, 25, 2012 AT 2:15 AM

Okay-now you chemical and pressure test it-

kickjon1985

June, 25, 2012 AT 2:18 AM

What kinda chemical testing? Kw? Ph? I will buy a cap and system pressure test kit tomorrow

June, 25, 2012 AT 2:43 AM

Its a bloc check-chemical tester that changes from blue to yellow in color if there's combustion leaking into the cooling system

June, 25, 2012 AT 8:42 PM

Are you getting any coolant losses at radiator and/or recovery tank?

kickjon1985

June, 25, 2012 AT 11:24 PM

Currently no. When the engine heats up it will drop some cause of the engine overheating but not normally.

June, 26, 2012 AT 1:42 PM

No coolant losses indicates the problem lies with the cooling efficiency rather than anything else.

Are the cooling fans working correctly? Is this an automatic or manual transmission?

kickjon1985

June, 26, 2012 AT 2:37 PM

Fan is working. It is an automatic transmission.

June, 26, 2012 AT 2:47 PM

Does both fans work together? Was any repairs done on them previously?

At highway speed are there any indication of overheating?

Is the replaced radiator OEM, new or used?

Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser