EX OVERHEATING

1998 Honda Civic

MoneyCount

October, 9, 2012 AT 3:25 AM

My friends Civic is overheating real quick. He has replaced with new parts the water pump, radiator, thermostat, coolant temperature sensor, and one other sending unit or sensor which I dont know exactly what its for but it is related to cooling system somehow. First, shouldnt the new radiator if its started with the cap off not push coolant back out through the cap? Second, after it starts the coolant just sits there and its not cirulating. So is it safe to say that its either the thermostat not opening or is it just a bad radiator or something totally different? Coolant doesnt seem to be reaching the engine block.I wouldnt think the thermostat would cause it to push coolant back the other way. Could anyone please help? Thanks

I just thought of something, are some radiators sold with a plug/cap in the lower hose end? Just a thought cause my friend isnt the sharpest pencil in the drawer at times. Lol

saturntech9

October, 9, 2012 AT 3:36 AM

So is the radiator fan coming on?Also do both the upper and lower radiator hoses getting really hot?

MoneyCount

October, 9, 2012 AT 4:27 AM

Actually the fan stays on when the key is turned on plus the upper hose gets a little warm but the lower hose is really cold if you asked me. Not warm at all.

MoneyCount

October, 9, 2012 AT 4:31 AM

Does the vehicle use a fan that comes on intermittenly?

October, 9, 2012 AT 5:07 AM

MAYBE THERE IS AIR IN THE SYSTEM

HERE'S THE PROCEDURE ACCORDING TO MITCHELL I IN THE PIC BELOW

I WAS ONCE AT A SHOP WHERE SOME FELLER HAD INSTANT OVERHEATING---NO ONE COULD FIGURE IT OUT---THEY TRIED MANY THINGS. NO ONE COULD FIGURE IT OUT. EXCEPT FOR THE "SHARP PENCIL" IN THE SHOP (NOT ME). SOMEHOW, THE OWNER FELLER MIS-ROUTED HIS SERPENTINE BELT (AND SOMEHOW IT FIT). WITH THIS CONFIGURATION, THE WATER PUMP TURNED BACKWARDS. THE IMPELLER WOULD NOT MOVE WATER!

THIS WAS YEARS AGO, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE CAR WAS

KEEP US POSTED

MoneyCount

October, 9, 2012 AT 5:17 AM

Hmmmmm, Now thats a thought because he does have a belt squeal. Now would this cause coolant to erupt out of radiator when the cap is off while starting then quit when started?

October, 9, 2012 AT 5:27 AM

MAYBE A BLOWN HEAD GASKET?

COMPRESSION SORTA SLOWLY BEING INJECTED INTO THE WATER JACKET WHILE CRANKING?

COMPRESSION MOSTLY GOING OUT THE EXHAUST WHEN IT'S RUNNING?

I'M THROWIN' STUFF

CHECK COMPRESSION

KEEP ON TALKIN'. OTHERS TEND TO JUMP IN AND ASSIST

October, 9, 2012 AT 5:44 AM

DID THE WATER PUMP TURN FREELY. WHEN IT WAS INSTALLED?

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE. PLASTIC OR METAL

THE PIC AT THE BOTTOM WAS OF ONE THAT FAILED OVER TIME (STILL CRAPPY)

DOES IT SPIN FREELY NOW, IF YOU REMOVE THE BELT?

IF FOR SOME REASON YOURS IS PLASTIC AND HAS FAILED (MAYBE IN A BIND DURING INSTALLATION)

TO AVOID REMOVING THE PUMP

YOU MIGHT TRY TAKING THE LOWER HOSE OFF OF THE PUMP---SHOVE A PIECE OF CLOTHES HANGER IN THE HOLE (TO "STOP" A "GOOD" IMPELLER) THEN TURN THE PULLEY BY HAND TO SEE IF IT INDEED. SEE IF THE IMPELLER WANTS TO TURN, AND NOT FREEWHEEL WITH NO RESISTANCE

saturntech9

October, 10, 2012 AT 4:33 PM

If both hoses are not getting really hot when the engine gets hot you have coolant not circulating.I wouldnt do a compression I would do a chemical block tester test which they rent at auto zone.

Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230