AFTER REPLACING CYLINDER HEAD IT IS STILL HARD TO START

• twister9970
  • 1992 Honda Accord

Hi guys. I have a '92 Honda Accord that I recently replaced the head on. It was warped and leaking compression into the water jacket. I ordered a re-man head and put it on with a Fel-pro Perma-torque head set. Followed a honda issued repair manual. I have replace head, head gasket. Cap, rotor, plugs, wires battery and run compression test. All cylinders test out around 180 to 195 lbs. Car ran fine for about 3 weeks then started getting hard to start again. Had to hold accelerator pedal all the way open and then it would start, after much cranking and rough idle. Once it started it would idle very roughly for about 30 seconds then smooth out and run fine. Car warms up to operating temp very quickly, usually within a mile or so of driving. Builds pressure in cooling system when running and pushes coolant out of overflow. What could be causing this?

Sunday, May 13th, 2012 AT 3:14 PM

• hmac300

Chekc to see if you have a bad thermostat and check your fuel pressure it may be low.

Sunday, May 13th, 2012 AT 3:23 PM
  • KHLow2008

You could have a bad head gasket again. Did you check the block surface? Quite often the block surface is bad as well when the head gasket goes bad.

Recheck the compression. Have a leak down test performed as well.

Sunday, May 13th, 2012 AT 3:48 PM