Water ran down on top of the alternator now it will not start

DUWHOP31
  • 2007 NISSAN ALTIMA
The radiator has a little leak so I got my car home and let it cool down so I could fill the radiator with water. When I was filing it up I didn't use a funnel and my alternator is on top right behind the radiator, and I pored too fast and a good bit got on my alternator. Left the hood open for two days to let it dry out and it wouldn't start. (Even when I tried to get it jumped off) So I bought a new alternator and replaced it, put the belt back on and hooked up the battery still it won't crank. I tried to jump it off today and you could tell it was trying, but didn't start. What could it possibly be the problem? The battery has power because when I put the cables on my car and touched the other positive and negative cables together there was a good bit of spark. Please help. Thanks
Wednesday, October 13th, 2021 AT 9:33 AM

KASEKENNY1
I don't think this is related at all to the alternator. Not only are they designed to get wet but even if it did fail, the alternator would not cause the engine to not start. It only provides voltage while the engine is running so it would not prevent it.

Just to be sure, your engine cranks but it does not start? You said it doesn't turn over but that typically means it will not crank. So, when you turn the key the engine spins but just doesn't fire and run?

If not, here is a guide that will get us started:

https://youtu.be/dCjmRL3p4Cs

We need to find out if we have a fuel or spark issue that is preventing this from starting so let's start with checking fuel pressure and then pull a spark plug and hold it against the block and see if there is spark when you are cranking the engine.

Lastly while the plug is out, can you see what it looks like so we can find out if they are fouled? I attached a diagram of possible plugs issue.

Let us know what you find, and we can go from there. Thanks
Wednesday, October 13th, 2021 AT 4:53 PM
DUWHOP31
Car is a push to start, so when I first hooked up the new alternator it wouldn't even crank when I pressed the button just click, click, click. Then I tried to get someone to jump me off and that's when it cranked but didn't start.
Thursday, October 14th, 2021 AT 7:53 AM
KASEKENNY1
Okay. The click, click, click, and jump start is a weak battery. So, let's start with testing the battery.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-load-test

We need it load tested so just putting a meter across the battery will not tell us if the battery is okay.

Then the not starting issue sounds like a theft system is active. I suspect you disconnected the battery when you changed the alternator so sometimes when you do that, it activates the theft system.

When you turn the key on (push the button twice to the run position without starting the engine) does the theft light remain on or flash?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system

Let us know about this and we can go from there but try pressing the unlock button on the key fob and then start the engine after the battery is checked and replaced if needed.
Thursday, October 14th, 2021 AT 9:03 AM
DUWHOP31
Okay. So, it's not the battery. I think it might be a blown head gasket or something like that. I can't tell if the engine oil is milky. I bought some $60.00 head gasket repair, but I don't know how I would try it if I can't start the car?
Friday, October 15th, 2021 AT 7:29 AM
DUWHOP31
I checked the oil dip stick, the oil cap & below the cap. Also, I checked All 4 spark plugs and there is no leaking from the exhaust manifold. I Got new spark plugs to put in, brand new oil to put in fresh if I need to drain the old and a bottle of Bar's Head Gasket Repair.
Friday, October 15th, 2021 AT 9:52 AM
DUWHOP31
Here is the 2nd, 3rd and 4th spark plugs. (That's not water or anything beside them I put them in cole and salt to clean them, but I got new ones to put in.
Friday, October 15th, 2021 AT 10:01 AM
KASEKENNY1
So, there is info here that could lead us in a different direction, but I think you are correct that the plugs need to be changed.

You are correct that these plugs are fouled and need to be replaced. So, let's change those and see if the engine starts.

Also, if the battery is ok and it was clicking that may just be a failing starter solenoid so let's not worry about that at this point.

Let's change the plugs and we can go from there. Thanks
Friday, October 15th, 2021 AT 3:41 PM

Sponsored links