Car won't start!

PHXONFIRE
  • 1994 NISSAN ALTIMA

Engine Mechanical problem 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

We have a 1994 Nissan Altima, 100K milles. We went on to a 2-week vacation, and when we are back, the car will not start. We can hear the crank just like normal but the engine just will not start as it used to. The "Check Engine" light is on. We tried the jump start but it did not work. Engine oil seems at the normal level. All power stuff is still working. Even air conditioner works greatly. Here is a little background introduction. We live in Phoenix, AZ, which means the temperature is burning hot. And the car is parked at an uncovered parking lot. What I would like to find out is what may be the problem, and how we can fix it if it is fixable. Thank you so much!

Tuesday, June 24th, 2008 AT 4:43 PM

KHLOW2008

Hi phxonfire,

You need to find out if there are sparks at the plugs and if fuel pressure is okay.

Here is a guide that will help you

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers

Wednesday, June 25th, 2008 AT 12:08 PM
MIROM2

See my post below, sound like the issues, but try this first, get some starting fluid and open airbox and spay a few spays into it, and see if car starts and then dies after a few seconds, if so read on and good lucj,
Hi, I have had a similar issue, took the car to a shop they replaced a bunch of parts that they said were definitely bad, but thats another story, they gave me a BS story each time they replaced something, and I am talking a reputible shop in town here, not some joe shmo, found the issue myself after doing some thinking, if you cannot start car, have someone else turn key for you and you listen from backseat with the larger half of the seat folded forward, the fuel pump is right below where the velcro connects the trunk carpet right below there, but to get to it back seat comes out, along with the round pressed metal surround under the plastic pieces there along with them. Anyways listen for the fuel pump as the other person turns key, you cant do this test yourself. If you hear nothing, its most likely it, try a few times, then get out and rock the car back and forth a couple times from side to side, at this point the wire which is half broken inside may align itself, try listening again, if you are able to start car, then get the sending unit or fuel pump harness kit, forget which it was, but the wire that is bad is the one that connects to top of the fuel tank seal and the other side to the fuel pump. I hope this saves a lot of headaches for everyone, and I can't believe that nissan doesnt even have this documented. Definite design flw, basically what happens is while driving the sending unit along with fuel pump are suspended by 2 fuel lines and this wire harness, and it, just like any piece of metal eventually partially breaks when folded back and forth a thousand times.I dont believe you can buy the cable itself, it comes as a part of the kit or sending unit, one connector is flat, other square with rounded corners, I believe around 80$ bucks at nissan dealer only. Good luck, let me know how it works out.
-Miro

Monday, July 7th, 2008 AT 10:19 PM
LEGITIMATE007

Nice post miro, if that is not the case, I would check the mass airflow sensor and engine coolant temp sensor

Monday, July 7th, 2008 AT 10:24 PM
MIROM2

Thanks legitimate007, I have found this issue tom be common on altimas from 93-ish until 2002, took 9 years to figure it out over there at nissan, but no recalls, do you realize how many cars are affected by this design flaw, I may write my pals at nissan a letter, I do like their cars, but I have a friend who works in service at nissan dealer near here, and he said its not even mentioned in known isues for techs, but they just replace the whole fuel pump unit all harnesses and 20 other things and somewhere along the way probnlem was fixed, but still no solution. I guess im just a bit frustrated about it. Anyways good luck, with the fix, oh and legitimate, is there any way you can get this fix to be added to your list of try this when someon with altima has these issues, really would help, lets get some feedback first.

Monday, July 7th, 2008 AT 10:44 PM
LEGITIMATE007

Im sure this wont be a prob. Miro, I bring it up to the other guys and see what I can do, but yes lets get some feedback first, and I'll check mitchell1 and see if there is even a technical service bulletin

Monday, July 7th, 2008 AT 10:49 PM
MIROM2

Thanks, I think the reply should start coming in, I think ive posted this fix on about 15 posts that describe this exact issue and im confident that the darn wire is the fault. By the way great forum you have here

Monday, July 7th, 2008 AT 10:54 PM
HOLLEY94
  • 1994 NISSAN ALTIMA

Brakes problem
1994 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 246000 miles

Hi,

The brake light stays on as well as the battery and the car will not start now. We replace the battery and the car still will not start. However, the horn, lights, radio, windshieldwiper works. Help, what could be the problem?

Monday, July 10th, 2017 AT 6:18 PM (Merged)
MOOREGURL52590

Your Alternator may be bad. I would have it checked out by a mechanic.

ROMANRAPP
  • 1994 NISSAN ALTIMA

1994 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 140k miles

Car used to start when cold but would cut off when hot and not start again till cool. Weeks later it would not rev past 2500 rpm than soon after that it would not start at all.

No start:

Get a starting fluid/ether/better off gas in a spray bottle and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, cap and rotor /distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, ECM, Ignitor cam and crank sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

ROMANRAPP

So what if the car does start up and die?

If it starts up and die -Check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump.

ROMANRAPP

Ok. I had to replace the distributor. So I did that and it ran perfect for little over a day. I was driving and was cruising, than gunned it to about 5500 rpms. Than it dropped reall fast and would not accelorate and drop rpm till it finally died. And would not start again. Im pretty sure its a fuel problem, has spark.

ROMANRAPP

I took the distributor out and discovered my camshaft was trashed where the distributor connects. Now I am looking for a Camshaft.

DONALD MIDDLETON
  • 1994 NISSAN ALTIMA

1994 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 80000 miles

car ran rough check what could plugs, wires, cap, fuelline and filter change plugs still will not start just turn over and over !

Cranks but no start condition:

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

BOGGSFAMILY2012
  • 1994 NISSAN ALTIMA

My husband and I just bought this car and ever since getting it home we have had nothing but trouble with starting it. We replaced the battery, but when we put the key in the ignition and attempt to start it nothing except the lights come one and the heater starts blowing but it won't turn over its completely silence on the outside except the hearter. However there is a little fuse box looking thing by the positive battery cable (or might even be connected to it) that if u move it or tap it the car will turn over. When we had the old battery in we always used a compact instant jump start to get the car to start even with messing with the little box on the positive cable. Is there anyone here that can help give me some pointers to look for or even maybe a diagnosis of why the car won't start but the heater (sometimes) and the lights come on but no crank or noise from the key or out side the vehicle. Please we have two toddlers and its cold here and snow on the ground this is the only form of transportation we have! Thank you

JOHNNYT73
  • 945 POSTS

Do the cables that go to this fuse box from battery have little bolts or nuts that attach the cables to the fuse box? Be sure the battery cables are clean and tight on the battery.

Pick your symptom-come back with some feedback.

**Cranks but no start condition:

Fuel and Spark:

**No crank at all/nothing/nada:

Could be the starter, starter relay, clutch switch/park and neutral switch and ignition switch assuming the battery and connections are good.

Monday, July 10th, 2017 AT 6:19 PM (Merged)
LONALEE
  • 1994 NISSAN ALTIMA

1994 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

What could be wrong with this car it is not firing on number 1

Related Engine Not Starting Content

Recommended guides