Will turn over but not start with the key

RYAN HOLBROOK
  • 1993 TOYOTA PICKUP
My truck will turn over but will not start. I checked all fuses, relays, spark plugs, and all that is good. I can roll start the truck and it fires right and I can drive it and it runs fine. It will not start with the key any ideas? I am stuck
Tuesday, December 13th, 2016 AT 5:13 PM

STEVE W.
First test. Put it in neutral, do not touch the clutch and see if it starts. If it does test the clutch start cancel switch.

Find the ignition switch harness. Look for the black wire with a yellow trace. Connect a test light to it. Turn the key on. You should have power. Now turn the key to start, the light should stay on. As you turn the key. If it does not the ignition switch is bad. If it does jumper the black/yellow wire to the black with red trace at pin two on the cancel switch. If it starts now while holding the clutch down, the cancel switch is bad.
Wednesday, December 14th, 2016 AT 12:51 AM
RYAN HOLBROOK
I have power on the black wire with yellow trace the truck don't do any thing with it in neutral when I try to crank it the clutch cancel switch is good any other things I can check? And thank you for helping me out
Friday, December 16th, 2016 AT 5:51 PM
STEVE W.
Well you can double check the starter relay, If you jump from the White wire Pin 5 to the Black/White wire Pin 3 that runs to the starter does the engine crank? If yes, apply 12 volts to Black wire Pin 1 on the start relay and see if the engine turns over when you step on the clutch.
If both of those work the wire to the switch or the start contacts in the ignition switch have failed.
I added a wiring diagram below.
Friday, December 16th, 2016 AT 7:56 PM