1999 Toyota Corolla trouble starting when engine hot

PERRYB
  • 1999 TOYOTA COROLLA
I actually have a 1999 Chey Prism, but that selection wasn't available on the webpage. The car starts fine in the morning or when the engine is cold, runs very smoothly. When I stop in somewhere for an hour or two, instead of starting after 2 or 3 revolutions of the starter, it takes 10 - 12 revolutions before it starts. It runs fine after it starts. There are no DTC codes showing when I check it with an OBD2 tester. Any sguuestions on what to check?
Perry
Saturday, October 11th, 2008 AT 8:47 PM

MMPRINCE4000
Check fuel pressure with a mechanical gauge during this hard start period. Remove vacuum line from fuel pressure regulator and check for gas. There should be none.

You should also change the fuel filter.

If you still have a problem assuming everything checks out, you may have a weak coil, or ignition module.
Sunday, October 12th, 2008 AT 7:18 AM
PERRYB
Thanks for the re

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/254673_DSCF0002_3.jpg

ply.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/254673_DSCF0001_2.jpg

Thank you for the response. For measuring the fuel pressure, the figure attached has a black plastic snap connector, which I assume is the fuel line connection. After I remove the plastic clamp, I tried to separate the line/hose by pulling, but did not want to break anything. Is there something else holding the line to the hose? Also, when I put the fuel pressure gage on, is it ok to put a hose over the formed aluminum bubl on the fuel line and just hold in place by hand while someone else turns it over, or is there too high of pressure to do so (about what pressure should I expect)?
You mention checking the vacuum line to the fuel regulator and seeing if there is gas in it. Does this need to be done when the engine is hot? The 2nd picture looking down on the fuel pump - is the hose you are talking about the one with the yellow clip in the picture? I was concerned about breakinhg the clip or the hose if trying to separate the hose from the plastic 90 degree part that is held in to the pump by the yellow clip.
Perry
Sunday, October 12th, 2008 AT 9:37 AM
MMPRINCE4000
You generally check fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Some Toyota's do not have a test port, rather, you use a special fitting that screws into the cold start valve fitting at the rail (after removing the CSV).

You check pressure at the rail because checking it at the pump is dangerous and will not tell you what the pressure is at the injector, since you may have an obstruction somewhere in the system between the pump and the rail.
Monday, October 13th, 2008 AT 8:41 AM