1997 Toyota Camry Electric windows & odometer

OLDPOSSUM
  • 1997 TOYOTA CAMRY
1997 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Instant problem. No warning or suggestion of pending problem.
The electric windows quit working, along with the speedmeter/odometer. I don't know if it could be related, but the transmission isn't shifting as it should.
Thanks very much -
Jerry
Tuesday, March 9th, 2010 AT 8:04 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Hello and thanks for donating

for the windows, check the fuse(s) to the power windows. Do any windows work at all using their separate switch?

For the odometer/speedo and tranny, this is all connected and caused by a faulty vehicle speed sensor, or faulty wiring to the sensor.
-1
Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 AT 10:38 PM
OLDPOSSUM
Thanks for your response.

None of the windows, collectively or individually. I've checked all the fuses and they SEEM to be ok.

Thanks much
Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 7:18 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
How about the door locks? Are they workign fine? If so then test out the door lock control relay and power main relay.
Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 12:15 PM
OLDPOSSUM
I appreciate your info. However, I don't know where the speed control, or door lock control relay, or the power main relay is. Just a dumbass that's TRYING to avoid a huge repair bill.
+1
Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 8:00 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Okay well the tranny is most important so lets start with the vehicle speed sensor (VSS). it is going to be found on the very top of the transmission and will look similar to the picture below...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_5_7.jpg

now for the relays to check as part of the window operation troubleshooting, they will be located under the hood, on the left side of the engine compartment. the easiest way to check the relay is to swap the suspected bad one out with a known good one that is made same.
Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 8:20 PM