Electric windows quit working?

OLDPOSSUM
  • 1997 TOYOTA CAMRY
Instant problem. No warning or suggestion of pending problem.
The electric windows quit working, along with the speedmeter/odometer. I don't know if it could be related, but the transmission isn't shifting as it should.
Thanks very much -
Jerry
Tuesday, March 9th, 2010 AT 8:04 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Hello

There is a common fuse #10 in the passenger fuse panel. Here is a guide to help check it and the fuse location in the diagrams below.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please run this test and get back to us.
Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 AT 10:38 PM
OLDPOSSUM
Thanks for your response.

None of the windows, collectively or individually. I've checked all the fuses and they SEEM to be ok.

Thanks much
Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 7:18 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
How about the door locks? Are they workign fine? If so then test out the door lock control relay and power main relay.
Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 12:15 PM
OLDPOSSUM
I appreciate your info I checked the fuse and it was bad, everything is working again!
+1
Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 8:00 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.
Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 8:20 PM
MRAHMAN
  • 1996 TOYOTA CAMRY
Couple of years ago rear left side power window stopped working. Since it was fully closed I didn't bother much. Now the rear right side stopped working, and window won't roll up!

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Saturday, May 30th, 2020 AT 12:01 PM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Can you hear the window motor trying to run when hitting switch? If not they are probably failing one by one. If so then remove door panel and inspect the window to see whats its doing when motor is engaged.
SIMPLYG
  • 1995 TOYOTA CAMRY
My windows don't work anymore. When I press the window controls the reverse (R) light comes on. To make matters worse when I turn my car on and turn the headlights on I cannot put the car in gear (it's locked). When I turn off the headlights then I'm able to put it in gear. While driving I turn the headlights on and the transmission gears down to first and will not shift to second gear also all the lights on the dashboard goes dim. What could be the problem? Please help!
Saturday, May 30th, 2020 AT 12:02 PM (Merged)
DOCFIXIT
Hi
This one will be challenging so hear goes has there been any recent repairs? Problem come on suddenly?
Any other electrical snafus? Behind the left kick panel is a ground connection with several black wire attached to body check to see if tight and clean.
Let me know
Thanks for donate
MATT5208
  • 1995 TOYOTA CAMRY
Windows wont go up or down. Door locks wont work and sun roof wont work
ERNEST CLARK
First check the fuses for each circuit. Also, you didn't say if they won't work at all, or just when you try to control them with the driver's controls. (Do the switches on the other doors work)

Because if the other switches work, then it's probably your door switch is bad, or the wiring that runs through the door to the switch has a break in it.
DANIE2U
  • 1995 TOYOTA CAMRY
Hi, I have a problem with my driver side window switch, I can lock all the doors and I can stop all the other windows from opening with the lock feature. All the other windows open and close on there own but I can't open my window or any of the other windows from the master switch. I thought it was the master switch so I changed it and good thing it was burnt on the inside I bought an after market replacement and it works the door locks and the window lock, my old burnt out switch did the same things. Can you help?
KHLOW2008
Hi danie2u,

The last part of your question is rather confusing.

Do you mean to say the new master switch also cannot operate the other windows?

The master switch can be used to stop current supply from going to the other windows but operating them is a separate circuit.

Since you said the old master switch was burnt, you need to check the wires and connectors.

You need to check for a separate fuse for the driver door window.
DANIE2U
Hi and thanks for you quick response. I'm sorry for not explaning myself better, but yes the new master switch I put in doesn't work any of the windows just the door locks and it stops the other windows from opening if I push the lock window feature. You said I might need to check a separate fuse, can you tell which one and where it is located. I know I said my old master switch was burnt but this didnt effect any of the wires it just burnt on the inside
KHLOW2008
Hi danie2u,

Check under the bonnet main fuse box.

Check also the main switch main current supply.
DANIE2U
I have found the problem it was the wire harness between the driver door I spliced them together and everything works find. Thanks so much
CRAST
  • 1994 TOYOTA CAMRY
My back right window wont roll up and the other 4 including the sunroof wont work either. Is it a fuse that has gone bad? It is a year 1995
Saturday, May 30th, 2020 AT 12:03 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008
Hi crast,

Problem could be due to a bad fuse, ( POWER FUSE 30 A) or power main relay, both located at relay box on left side of instrument panel.

Other possible causes would be a faulty master switch or wiring circuit.

Check the fuse and relay first.
LFUL2441
  • 1994 TOYOTA CAMRY
Seem like I am not getting power to none of my window they will not go up or go down, I throught it was the master switch, I got another one but it did the same thing, window still wouldnt go up or down, need your help please, oh I check the fuses but didnt see a fuses say windows2
2CEXPT
Check and test the power fuse 30amp and power main relay

Sponsored links