1985 Toyota 4Runner Fuel pump won't run

VICTORGOLD
  • 1985 TOYOTA 4RUNNER
Greetings,
I recently changed the cylinder head and timing cover and chain gear due to damage done by the chain wearing through the timing cover. Since reassembling, their is spark but no fuel flow. I can hear and feel the relay located at the fuse box and the relay under the right side kick panel. I tested for voltage at the connector to the fuel tank inside the right rear wheel well and got no voltage to the fuel pump. Can you advise?
Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 2:04 PM

Do this block open the flap inside the airflow meter-do you have power-no power test the circuit opening relay and also check the EFI fuse.

Also try this jumper the Fp to batt in the check connector this will bypass the COR and the Airflowmeter and apply power to the fuel pump.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fp_16.jpg

Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 3:21 PM
VICTORGOLD
I blocked open the flap inside the airflow meter and there was voltage to the fuel pump when the engine was cranked, as measured at the connector in the right rear wheel well. What now?
Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 8:07 PM
Its getting power to the fuel pump when you block open the flap -you should hear the pump come on.

Power the fuel pump direct from the battery -did it come on? If not the fuel pump is defective
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 4:04 AM
VICTORGOLD
The fuel pump works fine when voltage is applied to it. Both relays are working. The problem seems to be that the only way to get voltage to the fuel pump is to block open the flap in the airbox.

My questions now is what does this situation indicate is the problem that prevents normal operation of the fuel pump? Can you advise?
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 10:12 AM
Replace the airflow meter-its job is to ground the circuit opening relay so that power be transfer to the fuel pump.

Refer to the circuit diagram I gave earlier
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 1:45 PM
VICTORGOLD
Fuel pump came to life, but "Check Engine" light is on while engine is running. Engine runs rough and wont idle. Can you tell me where the "Check Engine harness connector" is located and what it looks like in terms of number of connectors.
Friday, July 31st, 2009 AT 11:16 AM
The check connector is located near the fuse box in engine compartment-You jump T to E-1 or Te-1 to E-1 see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_check_connector_1.gif

Friday, July 31st, 2009 AT 11:33 AM
VICTORGOLD
There is no check engine connector located anywhere near the fuse box. I searched the underdash area and the engine compartment and all I could find in the way of available connectors are the two shown in the attached photo which are located in the left underhood area close to the ignition coil. Neither has anything on it that identifies the contacts. The larger has three wires entering it and the smaller has two wires. Is either of these the check engine connector?
Friday, July 31st, 2009 AT 8:12 PM
It should be in the engine compartment you are on the right track the terminals is in the gray small box close to the coil-so much of repair manual accuracy The photo is the check connector where you can jump batt to fp to fire up the fuel pump
Friday, July 31st, 2009 AT 11:02 PM
VICTORGOLD
Hello again,

I couldn't find anything that could be described as a gray box near the coil. I did find two grommets on the inner fender where the two round connectors, shown in the earlier photo, seem to store. There is a squarish yellow connector with two conductors shown in both attached photos. could this be the "check connector"?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/385694_1985_Toyota_4_Runner_underhood_with_two_connectors_mounted_in_grommets_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/385694_1985_Toyota_4Runner_underhood_showing_2_conductor_connector_1.jpg

Saturday, August 1st, 2009 AT 8:23 PM
I'm using the Haynes manual for reference on location-Try checking behind fuse/relay block no.2
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 AT 6:32 PM