Temperature gauge on "C" and A/C not blowing cold air

SSLOVER
  • 2009 CHEVROLET MALIBU
My car is the LT model. It stopped blowing cold air when A/C was on. Is somewhat of a hot day so I noticed this fairly quickly. Right when this happened I also noticed the temp gauge pointing on "C". No previous A/C issues as just yesterday was functioning properly blowing ice cold air. I have already inspected for any leaks, coolant is full. But both of these seem to go hand and hand (AC/temperature gauge). Also, seemed to have happened randomly. Any suggestions on what this could be?
Wednesday, April 26th, 2017 AT 1:11 PM

KEN

It sounds like the coolant temperature sensor has gone bad causing both of you problems, Here is a guide that will give you an idea on how to fix it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/coolant-temperature-sensor-cts-replacement

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
Saturday, April 29th, 2017 AT 2:51 PM
TRASHJR85
  • 2007 CHEVROLET MALIBU
It cooled really good for about 2 years, then would cool off and on, then would only cool while sitting still, now doesn't cool at all. Full of freon, the clutch cuts in like it is supposed to, the air temp control door is working like it is supposed to. The temp gauge is working, the fans are working. Not sure if it is a switch or expansion valve? 104 outside is just too hot for not having a/c in the car.
+1
Saturday, April 29th, 2017 AT 2:52 PM (Merged)
ARE THE HOSES UNDER THE HOOD GETTING COLD?

MAYBE IT'S THE BLEND DOORS NOT WORKIN?

TRASHJR85
Hoses do not get cold. The blend door is working as designed.
HOW DID YOU DETERMINE IT WAS FULL OF COOL JUICE?

TRASHJR85
My brother charged it with freon - that is when it was cooling just when it was sitting still. I am going to have him put his gauges on it tomorrow night so I can get what the pressure readings are. That is probably gonna be a question that comes up at some point.
SOUNDS LIKE IT COULDA BEEN OVERCHARGED

HERE'S A VIDEO ON THE "CONSUMER" DIY SET-UP

NOTE THE AMBIENT TEMP SETTING YOU MUST DO ON THE GAUGE, TO KNOW YOUR PARAMETERS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWN6oX3jtOY

I LIKE THIS ONE BECAUSE IT HAS A LONGER HOSE AND THE "HEAD" CAN BE USED ON SMALLER CANS ONCE THE ORIGINAL CAN IS EXPENDED

TOMEIL
  • 2008 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Air Conditioning problem
2008 Chevy Malibu 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 33000 miles

Like other 2008 malibu owners, I too have a problem with my ac only blowing out hot air. The car has 33,000 miles that I have put on it. Why would this be if the car is still reletivly new. Is it the freont?
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

The first thing to check is low refrigerant as this is often the cause of this problem, start here.

-2
TRASHJR85
Probably not a good thing, but the high and low pressures are both at 70.
JAITE
  • 2010 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Recently, the air conditioner stopped blowing in our car so we took it into the shop. They said it was a relay issue, causing the compressor to not kick on. So they replaced a "harness". After getting the car back, It worked for a few hours, but I noticed it was blowing luke warm air every now and then. So I turned it onto the indoor circulation and it was getting cold again. But I also noticed that when turning off the car, often the next time we drove, it was back to luke warm air again. Sometimes messing with the buttons got it working and sometimes messing with it did nothing. So I dropped it back off at the shop, only for them to inform me they left it running and it was blowing cold air. Therefore, it seems to them like nothing is wrong with it. So I need help figuring out what this could be, I am not really car savvy but I do know the general basics(or can learn by other means). So here is what I know/did so far: Car stops blowing cold air(bought a refill of refrigerant), was blowing cold air when filling, as soon as I drove no cold air, took it into the shop (told a electrical relay issue not getting to the compressor) they replaced the harness, When driving it is now randomly blowing luke then cold air. There are no lights indicating that it is turning off and on, it just turns to warm air/cold air at random times. The other day in stop and go traffic it completely stopped working, likewise to the turning the car off.
Have the hvac unit scanned for codes and do a performance check on air conditioner unit. Sounds like it is freezing up from to much moisture in system.
CHARLES420
  • 2006 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Ac doesnt blow cold air, everything was fine just one day no cold air, it blows air all the bottens work, but no cold air, what could it be?
KHLOW2008
Check to see if the compressor clutch is engaged when A/c is turned on. It could be the compressor that is faulty or a control fault.