Tail and Parking Lights Not working

ZHODANI77
  • 1993 DODGE DAKOTA
1st Head Light switch went bad on oem part
Replaced with aftermarket exact replacement
Replaced plug( pigtail that goes to switch) with one cut out of an exact model at junk yard
Inspected the tail lights area for broken wires

Turn signals, brake lights, and headlights all work fine
If I gently and barely pull out knob on light switch just before it goes into position for park lights The park lights illuminate but go off soon a sits into position and do not work when headlights are on. The bright and dim switch work fine its on the column while switch is on the dash

The tail lights at one time would come on with park lights when barely pulled out but Now No tail lights period

Fuses have all been pulled and the fuses at the relay under the hood has been checked as well

I am most definitely going to test power from headlight switch and from fuse panel. The Dash Lights, parking lights and taillights are what's not working ( when I barely pull my light switch back but into the on position it causes the park lights to come on and radio light to dim does this additional info help narrow down the issue.

Meant to say I pull knob back but not into the on position, then the park and dash lights illuminate and the radio light dims.

This is a Brand New Switch,

The Original Had Multiple issues then finally went completely out the pigtail(plug) had melted on The Green wire in the center of the switch.

I changed That plug as well,

I would Like to know what Color wires go to what and where The grounds are for each tail light, license plate illumination lights, dash lights, and front parking lights.

I am Thinking Ground (s) are Bad. Maybe a Hot Wire is broken somewhere to tail lights and again come Tuesday I am gonna try a known good switch from the junkyard it came from their yard truck same place pig tail came from to verify same issue and eliminate switch and plug as culprits

Are The Turn signals, Brake lights, and Tail lights all The same Ground?
Brake and turns work just not running lights.
2. I got a tester light to illuminate from Black w/ yellow wire to ground on switch, on tail lights that same color goes to near every light back there too

3. Could the loss of ground be stopping lights from working in normal parking light position and maybe grounding when its not in its actual position a si barely pull knob out?

I work long hours friday-saturday-sunday-monday so please hang in there till this issue is resolved I will post the corrective steps that was taken to get full resolution for others as well
Thursday, March 6th, 2014 AT 2:26 PM

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
I agree with the ground issue since you said there was melting. that or theres a broken wire caused by the melting. Ive sent a diagram of the circuit and a guide to help you test it. let me know if it helps or you need more

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
Sunday, March 9th, 2014 AT 5:32 AM
ZHODANI77
Help me here, That diagram is key to making sure I have correct wires in top shape all the way from headlight switch back. I ran new undamaged wires the whole way it fixed the problem thanks for your help
Sunday, March 9th, 2014 AT 7:14 PM
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help
+1
Monday, March 10th, 2014 AT 4:12 AM
RITTER
  • 1991 DODGE DAKOTA
1991 Dodge Dakota Two Wheel Drive Automatic 135 k miles

i have a 91 dodge dakota sport and the dash lights dont work for the gages but the stuff below works ex. The high beams and turning signal icons still light up. And the tail lights dont work but I have brake lights and my signals still what could be the resson for this?
Thursday, December 15th, 2016 AT 6:54 PM (Merged)
INTERNETMECHANIC
Did you check applicable fuse circuits? Black wire with yellow tracer is voltage for rear taillites. With the headlamp switch turned on, that wire should be hot, If no voltage, check voltage feed to and from the headlamp switch.
STEVEW661
  • 2003 DODGE DAKOTA
2003 Dodge Dakota 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 38000 miles

tail lites and blinker lites suddenly quit working. I have checked the bulbs and the fuse (position #19) in the fuse block and all seems to be ok. What do you suggest next?
STEVEW661
Well, I have found the answer to my problem. The owner's manual talks about the fuse board located on the side of the dash board. The manual does not mention the "other fuse panel" located under the hood. I removed the lid from the fuse block under the hood and found that I did indeed have two blown 20 amp fuses. I replaced the fuses and presto, the tail lights, blinkers and emergency flashers are again working. Figured I just saved myself a couple hundred bucks, by not having to take it to the dealer and have them replace the 2 $5.00 fuses and charge me an arm and a leg!
-1
EILEEN TILLEY
  • 1995 DODGE DAKOTA
The brake lights don't work, headlights, taillights don't work, ABS light is on, door locks don't work, Brake light is on tachometer (sp?) Don't work. Gas gage don't work. We have checked all fuses and they are good, put new headlight switch in, checked all power lines and we are getting power. Not sure where to go from here?
-1
Lets start with an easy circuit and hope all the dead circuits have a common cause. Go right on the brake light switch and use a test light to check for 12 volts on one wire all the time, and 12 volts on the switched wire when you press the brake pedal. I'm going to search for a service manual to see the wire colors you're after.
I found the wiring diagram. The first wire you want is pink / dark blue. That must have 12 volts all the time. Next is the white / tan. That one must have 12 volts when you press the brake pedal.
+2
CGLENN1332
  • 1998 DODGE DAKOTA
1998 Dodge Dakota 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 79540 miles

My dash and tail lights are out I have checked the fuses and they are all good. I was just wondering what else could be the problem, and how I could go about fixing the problem.
Have you checked fuses under the hood? Also, have you checked the headlight switch?
MITCH928
  • 1997 DODGE DAKOTA
1997 Dodge Dakota V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 190000 miles

the old headlight switch would not always turn the headlights on, so I replaced the switch with a new one from CarMax. Now my running lights will not work, everything else works- dash, headlights. Can you help
-1
DOCFIXIT
Check fuse #14 in junction box left kick panel
TJN2010
  • 1995 DODGE DAKOTA
1995 Dodge Dakota

how do I fix my tail lights they just went out and dont work when I press the brake?
-1
Thursday, December 15th, 2016 AT 6:55 PM (Merged)
If the bulbs are good, check the brake light switch. It's attached to the brake pedal under the dash. Make sure you are getting power to the switch, and when the pedal is depressed, you have power out. Also, did you check the fuse?

Let me know what you find.

GOLIASTRO
  • 1996 DODGE DAKOTA
Rear parking lights won't work on a 1996 Dodge Dakota. Turn signals work, and front parking lights work.
-1
Check the wiring on the driver's side near the end of the frame. Also, if the wiring is good, check the headlight switch and all fuses.