Shifter loosely glides and gears won't engage

RICKYSH11
  • 2005 CADILLAC CTS
I'm not sure when the problem occurred but I was driving my car and it happened after I turned off the car to enter a store. When starting the car back up and trying to put the car into gear the shift moves moves loosely into drive, neutral, reverse, etc but the gears won't engage at all the car won't change from park.
The transmission was recently rebuilt about a week and a half ago. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it or not. I have also seen info about the shifter cable being bad, or popping off or broken or something.
Monday, June 17th, 2013 AT 10:14 PM

KHLOW2008
Since the transmission was recently rebuilt, my guess is the shifter was not secured correctly and somewhere a linkage has been dislodged. Check the shifter linkages for a start.
Tuesday, June 18th, 2013 AT 6:07 AM
RICKYSH11
Ok, thanks. Are the linkages located on the transmission? I was told that It was an external part.
Tuesday, June 18th, 2013 AT 8:54 AM
KHLOW2008
Yes, linkages are external part and it goes from transmission to shift lever.
You would need to get under vehicle to check.
Wednesday, June 19th, 2013 AT 6:12 AM