A/C blows warm air

CTHELENA
  • 2006 SATURN ION
Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic.

A/C blows warm air but Freon is full. What could the problem be?
Sunday, November 8th, 2009 AT 10:29 PM

A/C blowing warm air only and no cool air? Your A/C cooling problem could be caused by any of the following:

Your A/C system may have lost its charge of refrigerant, or the compressor may not be engaging when you turn on the A/C, or the blend air door inside the HVAC unit may be stuck in the heat position so no air goes through the A/C evaporator.

Start with the compressor. Does it engage when you turn on the A/C?

If so, the compressor is working and the A/C system probably contains enough refrigerant to make cold air, so the problem is inside the HVAC unit. Replace the motor that controls the blend air door (this is a difficult job and best left to a professional since it involves tearing apart the HVAC unit about an eight to ten hour job!).

If the compressor does not engage when you turn on the A/C, see if it will run by jumping the compressor clutch wire directly to the battery (use a fused jumper wire). If the compressor works when you jump it, and the A/C blows cold air, the system contains refrigerant and the fault is likely a bad A/C compressor clutch relay or a bad clutch cycling switch or pressure switch.

If the compressor does not engage when you jump it, the problem is a bad compressor clutch.

If the clutch engages but the compressor does not turn (the belt will start to slip and squeal), the compressor is loced up and you need a new compressor.
+9
Monday, November 9th, 2009 AT 10:13 AM
CRISIS169
I had my 2004 Saturn Ion 1 for almost fourteen years now around 2010 the AC started to roar loudly at one time had hot air coming out I want to a Jiffy Lube and they changed out my air filter for my car and the outside air works fine. I tried the AC today it came on and cool really fast but it still makes that loud roaring noise. Is my AC going out or just needs to be cleaned. What do you recommend I should do? I know if I take it to a shop GM specially it will be over $1,200.00 at least to get a new AC compressor put in.
Sunday, May 13th, 2018 AT 10:46 AM
KEN
You can do the job yourself by following these guides.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-air-conditioner-compressor

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/re-charge-an-air-conditioner-system

The compressor should run about $250.00 on Amazon.

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
Sunday, May 13th, 2018 AT 11:35 AM