AC NOT WORKING

• Gaby.R
  • 2003 Saturn Ion

A mechanic has checked the AC and found a small leak and fixed it and the AC was working for a week. I took it back to the mechanic and he says there are no more leak. Please let me know what could be the problem.

Wednesday, April 18th, 2012 AT 6:27 PM

• ImpalaSS

What did your current mechanic say the new problem was since it wasn t blowing cold air?

For the AC system you would need gauges to see what the high/low side is doing. You may be low on refrigerant again . But again you can only tell by putting a set of gauges on it to see what the readings are. Obviously if it is low . You still have a leak.

Your compressor may also be bad . Again, your system needs to be checked using gauges.

My suggestion is have it checked by a different reliable (not that your current mechanic isn t) auto repair facility to see what they say.

Wednesday, April 18th, 2012 AT 6:37 PM
  • saturntech9

Just to add to this one does you radiator fan work?If not thats one reason your ac is inop.

Wednesday, April 18th, 2012 AT 11:28 PM
  • ImpalaSS

Great input Start your engine with the AC off. Check the fan to see if it is turning. Then turn the AC on. The fan should automatically come on . If not . Then unplug and put 12v to the fan plug to see if it turns. If not then fan is defective.

Thursday, April 19th, 2012 AT 12:16 AM
  • ImpalaSS

I provided one other item for you possible recalls on your vehicle. These are normally repaired for free. Check with the dealer service department and they can check your VIN number to their system to ensure all are repaired on your vehicle.

Thursday, April 19th, 2012 AT 12:28 AM
  • saturntech9

Another thing I have seen on those cars is a loose terminal tightness in the underhood fuse box cause the ac compressor to cycle or jus not come on at all.

Thursday, April 19th, 2012 AT 12:55 AM
  • Gaby.R

My fan is working. The mechanic stated it could probably be the evaporator. Do you think that is the problem?

Thursday, April 19th, 2012 AT 6:01 PM
  • saturntech9

You said the guy working on your car said there wasnt any leaks so why did he say you might need a evaporator?He thinks its clogged?

Friday, April 20th, 2012 AT 2:07 AM
  • ImpalaSS

Glad to hear the fan is working but you still have the leak. As the other Tech stated, the mechanic has already told you there wasn t any more leaks. So that would raise an eyebrow to me.

Also, this will be a little hard to detect but they can put a florescent dye in the system and if it is leaking really bad, then it may show up on the ground from the drain tube. They also use sniffers to check the entire system. The evaporator will be expensive to change. My suggestion is to get a second opinion and see if they use the dye and a sniffer and see if the leak is from a connection point, the condenser, compressor, dryer etc. I would not advise jumping right into the evaporator.

Friday, April 20th, 2012 AT 2:51 AM