Rear Passenger window will not go up

ALICHEW
  • 2005 HYUNDAI ELANTRA
The window stayed down after we lowered it on one day. I tried pulling the panel off and plugged and unplugged the connecting from the switch and the motor a couple times and got it to go up one time and left it for a while. I had never worked on windows before, so I assumed it was the motor. I bought a motor, but it did not fix the problem. I swapped the switch from the rear left passenger and it did not work on the rear right were the problem persists, but the rear right switch worked on the left rear.

I am left to think it is the wire connections or the regulator. When I press the switch to go up I do not hear anything. I now can still lower the window with the motor, but I manually raise it by hand.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Bryan
Wednesday, August 20th, 2014 AT 7:45 PM

The first thing to look at is the wires between the door hinges, mainly the driver's door. If you find any that are frayed or broken, I'll describe the repair procedure I use.

The next thing that can be hard to understand is when a window goes one way okay but not the other, the cause can be in either the driver's switch or the passenger's switch. Where this is most confusing is when the window DOES work both ways from one switch and only one direction from the other switch. Either switch, the one that works both ways or the one that works one way can be the cause the problem. That's because both switches actually have four separate switches built in to each one. Two in each switch are involved with running the window each way. Voltage tests can determine which switch is at fault, but substituting one like you did is much faster. The only problem is to substitute the drivers switch you have to find one in a salvage yard, (or buy a new one).

The other thing to consider is there are only two wires running between the driver's switch and the passenger switch. Either switch will turn on the 12 volts to the window motor when it is pressed, and either switch will reverse the polarity to reverse the direction the motor runs. What that means is if the window goes in one direction, both wires have to be okay. The 12 volts and the ground circuits for the motor both go through the driver's switch, even when it's the passenger switch that is activated. Based on the fact the window works in one direction, the wiring has to be okay, and the motor is okay.

Since you already confirmed the right rear switch works on the left side, we know it's okay, and the main suspect is the one that gets used the most. That's the driver's switch.

Another less-common cause is a regulator that is coming apart. All manufacturers have gone to really chincy cables running over cheap plastic pulleys. Those pulleys often crack and the cables can fray and unravel. That can cause the the regulator to bind more in one direction, but it usually binds or makes noise in the other direction too.
+4
Wednesday, August 20th, 2014 AT 9:45 PM