2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Engine Overheated and now produces

BBONNER32
  • 2002 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
On a long road trip I recieved the low coolant message. The town I got the coolant in did not carry the proper DEX-COOL antifreeze/coolant so I purchased a bottle of normal antifreezecoolant. After a few more hours of driving on the freeway (Average speed was about 70 MPH) I noticed the white smoke coming from the tail pipe. The engine was at normal temperature but I knew something was wrong because of the white smoke. I added more antifreeze but continued to lose it fast. The car seems to run fine but still smokes. I read an article that said the first step is to remove the intake manifold then inspect the gasket. My main question is the car safe to drive until the dissasembly occurs and repairs are made. And how difficult is this process? I have not done a whole lof of car repairs but can usually figure stuff out pretty well. Or should I leave the repair up to a mechanaic?
Thanks,
Brad
Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 7:10 PM

MMPRINCE4000
White smoke out exhaust is either the headgasket or intake gasket, and needs to be repaired ASAP, as it will damage O2 sensor and convertor, and if leaking bad enough can cause the engine to hydrolock, where cooland leaks into combustion chamber and bends a rod or breaks a piston.

I would have a trusted mechanic diagnose it, first with compression test, then cooling system pressure test.
Wednesday, January 27th, 2010 AT 7:48 AM