2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Radiator

AWOCHAMP11
  • 2005 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
I had a build-up of some brown clay or rust colored gunk under my radiator cap, I figured I had a minor clog because everything was working fine, I would just have to add water on a bi weekly or so basis. About a month and a half of doing that, all of sudden (while stationary) My car overheated to about a 1/3 into the "red zone". I opened the radiator cap, and brown water came out. I added clean water, and let it cool for about 4 hours. Then I drove it home, and when I almost got there (Which only 3 miles away), it started overheating in the same fashion, and smoking slightly. So I parked it, and added water again. When I cranked the engine back on, the engine ran of course, but it was making mechanical noises, like something was screeching, or grinding. Any idea, or did I ruin the engine by not properly handling my radiator situation? Thanks in advance.
Friday, June 20th, 2014 AT 10:35 PM

CADIEMAN
The brown color is because u have motor oil leaking into the cooling system. It is probably leaking compression into the cooling system causing the overheating. The smoke u see is oil (gray smoke) or water (white smoke) leaking into the engine cylinders. This is caused by a blown head gasket.I can't tell u weather u trashed the motor but I know it needs head gaskets. Sorry for the bad news
Saturday, June 21st, 2014 AT 2:30 AM