MY CAR OVER HEATS AND WONT START AND MY STEERING WHEEL IS STIFF WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?

1997 Pontiac Grand Prix

indiacollins

September, 17, 2012 AT 9:49 AM

I have a 97 pontiac grand prix and one day it stopped on me. Temp shot right up and under the hood was smoking. So I tried putting antifreeze in it afterwards I stopped and started putting water in it. The temp was going down slowly but the car would not start back up. So I left the car and got it towed to my house the next following day. After getting it off the trucking bed I tried to start it again but it still didnt come on. So myself and a neighbor pushed the car into a parking space and come to find out the wheel was so stiff to move. The lights in the car are on so no its not the battery causing the car not to start.

September, 17, 2012 AT 10:41 AM

If the engine is not running, the power steering would not work and that would result in the heavy steering.

The overheating could have damaged the head gaskets resulting in loss of compression and the inability to start.

Have the coompression tested for a start.

A block test for determining if the head gaskets are bad would be recommended.

indiacollins

September, 17, 2012 AT 3:00 PM

If the head gaskets are bad how much do you think it will cost for it to get replaced?

September, 17, 2012 AT 3:53 PM

It depends on what other damages are there. It can be costly and should start from 1000. You need to get local quotes to be accurate.

indiacollins

September, 17, 2012 AT 4:04 PM

Yes it is very costly, Where would be a great place to get a quote from?

September, 17, 2012 AT 4:10 PM

Your local garages. Try a few of them.

Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer