Will not crank

ROLLE4
  • 2008 PONTIAC G6
Six cylinder front wheel drive automatic. Strange, drove car home from work, got up the next morning and it would not crank. All lights, radio, interior lights, power locks, doors all worked. When turned the key to start, nothing. No clicking, just nothing. Moved shifter back and forth to be sure it was is park. Checked all security/ignition fuses and all are okay. Tried putting in neutral to start, still nothing, no clicking. Battery is good. Went to try to start it the next day, and it started! What would be causing this issue?
Sunday, April 11th, 2010 AT 6:33 PM

It sounds like the starter has gone bad, but to be sure lets by checking the trigger wire with a test light when the car will not crank over. Here is a guide to help you:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-starter-motor

Here are diagrams to show you what it will be like for your car.

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
Monday, April 12th, 2010 AT 4:46 AM
JUDY007
Thank you for this post it solved my problem.
Wednesday, June 27th, 2018 AT 2:10 PM
LONGORIA214
  • 2008 PONTIAC G6
Car will not crank after it gets hot. Once it cools down it will crank up. Frustrated!
Thursday, June 28th, 2018 AT 11:32 AM (Merged)
FREEMBA
* Does your temperature gauge tell you that the engine is overheating?
* Are there any visual signs that the engine is overheating?
* How often do you have to add coolant?

If the engine is overheating it would behave this way. Let me know the answers to these questions and then we can go a bit further in the diagnostic process.
-1
LONGORIA214
Sorry, I did not make my self clear. The car is not overheating up. What I meant to say about getting was hot was the starter. I have checked the battery, alternator, starter they checked out good. I did replace the ground wire to the battery because it was corroded. I also replaced the ignition switch thinking that would fix my problem, but it still doing the same thing.
FREEMBA
If you replaced the negative battery cable and are sure that the connections are clean and tight, perform a voltage drop test on the positive battery cable.

To do this you will need a Digital Volt meter. Set the voltmeter on the 2 volt scale.
Connect the positive (+) voltmeter lead to the positive battery cable (at the battery), be sure it makes a good connection.
Connect the negative (-) voltmeter lead to the positive battery terminal stud on the starter, be sure it makes a good connection.
Have an assistant to crank the engine over. Record the reading on the voltmeter, while the engine is cranking.
There should be a reading of 0.2 volts or less.

To check the negative side of the starting system, connect the positive(+) voltmeter lead to the negative battery cable (at the battery), be sure it makes a good connection.
Connect the negative(-) voltmeter lead to a clean spot on the case of the starter.
There should be a reading of 0.3 volts or less.

If excessive resistance is found clean the battery cable ends and terminals. Clean the place on the engine where the negative cable attaches. Retest. If excessive resistance is still present, replace the faulty cable.

If excessive resistance is not found, remove the starter and have it tested at a local auto parts store (many of them will test it for free!).
+1
LONGORIA214
Okay, I will try that this afternoon. Starter has been tested and that is okay. Anything else you think it could be?
Different person.

"The starter"

Bench testing at the auto store proves that it runs, they cannot simulate the heat and the load on it, short of putting it on another vehicle.

Just a last resort possibility.

I will give you all the information I got before you tear your hair out, or unwisely spend money.

Link follows, see my awesome answers in it!/be sure to check out the link in it near the end! "TRT41" is the best now!, "TRT30" is pretty good!

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/1996-chevrolet-tahoe-wont-start-sounds-dead-battery-jumpbox-get-same-reults

Return with good news!

The Medic

MYG62012
  • 2008 PONTIAC G6
It is becoming more often. What could it be the problem?
When I try to start it, it does not crank (turn) over the the first time. It turns over the second time. It happens everyday now and the dealership that I purchased the car from, cleaned the fuel injectors and it was running fine and that was a month ago. Also, when I drive it feels like it wants to shut off. I made an appointment with a Pontiac dealer to find the problem. Could you tell me what it could be, before I take it on Thursday? Thank you for your time.
Check fuel pump pressure.
JOHNNY G.JR
Some starters will not turn over when hot. I had a 1973 Fire-bird with headers. When the starter got hot, the starter would not crank, when cooled down started fine. I replaced with high torque starter. Problem gone.
+1
LONGORIA214
Just replaced the positive cable because it was showing some wire I guess where the wire was hitting the manifold. Maybe that will fix my problem. Crossing my fingers.
LONGORIA214
Still having the same issue.
KEN
Yes, lets please try replacing the starter. Here is a link to a good AC Delco unit:

Great instructions by FreeMBA, one of our best online mechanics at his best!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007QBU5IS/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=2carprcom-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B007QBU5IS&linkId=d75d2b4665e6f3563ed5a95328323982

Let us know how it goes so i will help others.

Best, Ken

TONY WEST
  • 2008 PONTIAC G6
I was driving and the car just shut off and will not crank. All the lights and things work, but it will not say a word. No noise or anything.
JOHNNYT73
I would have your car checked as part of the GM ignition recall.
LONGORIA214
Starter is not the issue.
KEN
Have you replaced it, or just tested it at the parts store? If you are certain it is not the problem then the only other thing I can thing of is the ground strap between the engine and frame either is missing or loose.
LONGORIA214
How do I program my ECM?
SATURNTECH9
Just to add to this one; what is going on that you want to program your ECM? That takes the dealer or someone that has the expensive scan tool that will program. When the buy the calibration files from the manufacturer. So when it will not start is the security light on solid or flashing with the key in the run position?