Starting problems

MIRANDA_21
  • 2006 PONTIAC G6
  • 108 MILES

My car will not start sometimes. I will go into a store for a few minutes come back out and start it and it will not start. It turns over but it will not start for a few minutes and it feels like the engine is shaking really badly and there is a weird sound that comes from it. It clicks and everything, but it just will not start. My friend said it might be the fuel filter but Pontiac does not service fuel filters. Also, my acceleration some days it will accelerate like a champ but other days it does not and also it does these soft jolts once and a while only the driver can feel it. I tried looking for a dip stick but found out my car does not have a dipstick for transmission because I have manual and automatic. Can somebody please help me figure out what is wrong with my car?

Monday, November 14th, 2011 AT 11:32 PM

BLACKG6

I had an intermittent starting problem with my 2006 G6. For months it would start fine in the morning. I would drive to my destination and get back in and it would not start. I would turn the ignition, it made no noise but the dash lit up. I tried a new battery, relay switch, two starters, new cables and new ignition switch. Nothing solved the problem. We took it to the dealer several times but they could never solve the problem because it always started for them. I would drive it home and the next day it would not start. Hours later it would start. Finally I took it to my friend who has an auto electric shop. Should of took it to him first, right? Well he was able to identify the problem. The starter was not getting a ground. He found out that the fuse box was bad and was causing a grounding problem for the starter. He order a new fuse box and installed it. That was six months ago and it starts up every time since! Hope this helps.

+20
Friday, April 3rd, 2015 AT 10:06 PM
JESS26
  • 2006 PONTIAC G6

When I have my car running for a long time and it gets hot and I turn it off and I try to start it again it does not turn on. I just replaced the starter and that was not it any ideas?

-1
Saturday, April 1st, 2017 AT 6:13 PM (Merged)
SATURNTECH9

So you get a no crank no start? Or a crank no start? Any codes in the computer?

-1
JESS26

No crank no start until it cools down and there are sometimes I crank it and it sounds like it is stuck.

-1
SATURNTECH9

Have you checked for any codes in the computer yet? If not that is the first thing you need to do.

JESS26

I took the car to get looked at and one person is thinking the fuse box and other people are telling me it cannot be the whole box just a fuse since everything else still works. So I do not know.

+1
SATURNTECH9

If you get a test light we can trace power and find the issue. The thing that does not make sense is if it cools down it starts.

JESS26

I know because it does not not show it is over heating or anything. So I do not know what is the problem.

TNPRUIZ
  • 2006 PONTIAC G6

Car will not start. Replaced the battery lights start flashing, but still will not start. No clicking and after I turn the key everything turns off.

SATURNTECH9

Without tracing power I really cannot say what the issue is.

Try resetting security system if no owners manual look online on how to do it.

CHACH007
  • 2006 PONTIAC G6

For months starter would engage but would start car until you mashed gas pedal to floor. Secondly battery voltage is 12 volts at battery and alternator. Ignition key will not start engine now or turn over starter motor. Lights interior go haywire CD player on fritz. Key cycled on and off, battery cables held together to clear anything and there are no DTC's. I put on a battery charger for a brief moment and the sound of high voltage power lines were emitted from power window motors. Visually all electrical wiring good. Would a remap flash of computer help or did the computer take a dump?

+1

Go to this link: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-engine-will-not-crank-over

How about my answer in this link?

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2003-ford-f-150-4-2l-v-6-manual-trans-pickupmy-truck-died-while-backing-out-park

Take a look at this as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzz7P3qNHcE

The MEDIC

AVERILH
  • 2006 PONTIAC G6

2006 Pontiac G6 six cylinder two wheel drive automatic 5,000 miles.

Son went through puddle about wheel deep, car cut off will not start.

Get a helper disconnect a spark plug wire or two and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it does not apply disregard it.

GETEMG6ZOOM1
  • 2006 PONTIAC G6

It has been running great, but sometimes when I start it clicks, if I wait a few minutes then it starts up. Also, lately the key gets stuck in the ignition. Help please!

Saturday, April 1st, 2017 AT 6:14 PM (Merged)

Have battery checked for condition including load test most places do for free. Make sure terminal ends on battery are clean.

-1
2CARPROS RENEE
  • 674 POSTS

Hi GETEMG6ZOOM1,

If you decide to check the condition of your battery yourself here is a link to helpful information from this site that features written instructions, pictures and a video explaining how to load test your battery yourself. If you need further assistance please come back to 2CarPros.com. We are always happy to help.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-battery

Thank you for visiting 2CarPros.

Kindest regards,

Renee
Admin

TAMIKA
  • 2006 PONTIAC G6

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 Gt and when I try to start it, it will not start it is not making a click but everything comes on. Could you tell me what is wrong with my car?