Overheating

JOSE A PEREZ
  • 2001 TOYOTA CAMRY
It overheated two miles away from home. I made it to store where I put some water in reservoir it cooled down enough where I could make it home. I shut the engine off let it cool down, put water in radiator and notice water pump leaking. I changed water pump, timing bet, thermostat, drive belt, alternator belt, seals and filled it up with 50/50 antifreeze also changed oil and filter. Still over heating I notice fans are not coming on but when I turn on air condition they go on. Help!
Thursday, November 2nd, 2017 AT 9:10 AM

If the engine is not overheating at highway speeds and seems to be limited to a problem when in stop and go traffic or idling, then it does sound like the fan is the problem. Some things to check would include the cooling fan relay, which is located in the power distribution box under the hood, and the coolant temperature sensor.
Thursday, November 2nd, 2017 AT 6:02 PM
JOSE A PEREZ
I changed a coolant sensor switch underneath three radiator that did not work. I also checked relays yesterday and they are good but I just pulled out coolant relay again and as I was pulling it out driver side fan went on. I push it back in and nothing. I slightly make contact with it again and again it goes on. What is wrong. Looks like I am getting some where just hope it does not cost me any more. Do not have the funds. Help!
Friday, November 3rd, 2017 AT 1:24 PM
KHLOW2008
When does the overheating occurs?
Have you checked if there are still air trapped in system?
How high is the temperature gauge showing when you mean overheating?
Does the reading lowers when A/C is turned on?

The fans are good if they come on when the A/Cond is turned on. What you need to check would be the relays and controls such as the temperature switch that turns on the relays when the operating temperature is reached.
Toyota utilises a few relays for the fan controls and if one is bad, it would affect the system. This is shown by the fan running when you fiddle with the relay. Presently I am not able to access our database for the wiring circuit so this is not going to be easy for me to explain as I am not sure of the actual system used for your vehicle. Toyota has a few different system for different models and year There should be 3 relays for the fans, 1 for each fan and the third for controlling both

When the temperature gauge shows high, check and confirm if the upper and lower hoses at radiator are almost equal in temperature. Be careful when working on a hot engine.
+1
Friday, November 3rd, 2017 AT 10:44 PM
JOSE A PEREZ
I finally changed the relay box with relays from junk yard and it solved the problem. It wasn't the relay but the connection of the coolant fan relay that's why I changed the relay box. I want to thank you very much for your help. Much gratitude God bless you!
Sunday, November 5th, 2017 AT 6:17 AM
KHLOW2008
"Problem solved" This is what we always love to hear.

The cooling fans run on current and the connectors do get hot and causes connection issues over time if they are loose. Ensure the connections at the fuse box are clean and tight to reduce the heating and prolong the lifespan of the fuse-box.

Have a great day.
Sunday, November 5th, 2017 AT 10:58 PM
JOSE A PEREZ
Thank you once again for your help.
Monday, November 6th, 2017 AT 12:49 PM
BRYANLEWIS10
  • 2001 TOYOTA CAMRY
Engine Cooling problem
2001 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Automatic 170000 miles

Yesterday when pulling up at a store, I noticed my car had overheated. The temperature gauge was almost at the top, so I drove it straight home and parked it in the driveway. It began to smoke a bit when I pulled in the driveway. Can you give me some suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Today I went to Wal Mart and bought Prestone antifreeze. I noticed the reservoir was empty, but put about 1/2 gallon antifreeze directly into the radiator. I cranked the car and rode about 3 miles down the road when it began to overheat again. I brought it right back home and parked it.

I was simply hoping it was out of coolant. Unfortunately, I have changed the oil and air and oil filters as scheduled, but never looked at the coolant. I bought the car with 100K miles and it now has 170K.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Monday, November 26th, 2018 AT 10:10 AM (Merged)
Hi bryanlewis10, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation it keeps the site going

When you pulled in the driveway and shut it off-do you hear bubbling/boiling type of noises-Try this replace the thermostat and get back as soon as possible, we move from here.
-1
BRYANLEWIS10
Thanks for the response. If you guys help me fix my car, I'll gladly give another donation. I don't remembe hearing any bubbling noises, but I will listen for them today. Another question I have is how much antifreeze should I put in the radiator and is it better to put directly into the radiator.

Thanks for the help.
It depends on your weather- for me if its 0 below I use 70% antifreeze and 30% water above that temp 50/50 mix

Put it in the radiator and 1/2 in the reservoir bottle.

So what's with the overheating situation?
JAMESGCROCKER
Sounds like a blown head to me mate. Very bad if you can tell the engine is way hotter than it should be (melting the oil cap, smoking) and it overheats quickly. Wipe your finger round the inside of the radiator, if you get greasy gunk then your oil and coolant are mixing and it's probably the worst.
RYAN1225
  • 2001 TOYOTA CAMRY
Overheating Camry has no leaks, I checked it with a pressure tester. Both fans work, we checked relays and fans themselves, they both come on when you start the car and when the a/c is turned on. The radiator has recently been replaced along with the thermostat and upper and lower hoses. When car overheats we noticed that the upper hose is hot and the lower hose is not like there is no circulation.
KHLOW2008
Have the thermostat rechecked. Symptoms indicates the thermostat is not opening to allow coolant flow.

New parts do fail at times.
CHADMISTY
  • 2001 TOYOTA CAMRY
We changed the timing belt and the water pump. The engine is running like it did before. BUt the engine stated to overheat. So we looked at the thermostat- running fine. And we can see that the water pump is running like it should. But it seems like the coolant is not getting to the engine properly. Have we done something wrong?
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

make sure that the thermostat bleed valve is fitted to the top and try and bleed excess are out of the motor by taking off a heater hose and filling the engine with water and allow it to run out the heater hose, put the hose back on and continue filing, when full run and feel that the heater hoses are both hot, (heater turned on) you may just have an air lock in the engine.

+1
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2001 TOYOTA CAMRY
My Car developed overheating problems. The temperature went so high and it stopped itself before we could. We towed it to the nearest Mechanic, they doubled the gasket, cleaned it up and when it was ready, we started the car, it started, but the water in the radiator keeps boiling. What could be wrong?
MHPAUTOS
Blocked radiator, faulty thermostat, faulty cooling fans these should have been checked first.
STANDARD1
  • 2000 TOYOTA CAMRY
It is when I stop and idle for a period of time, I can see the temp needle moving to the hot side of the gauge. As soon as I get underway the temp needle moves back to the normal range. Stopping at a stop light is not a long enough time for this to happen. Its only during long idle times, 15min +. I have check the fans and they work as advertised.
Monday, November 26th, 2018 AT 10:11 AM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6
http://www.2carpros.com/first_things/engine_over_heats.htm
ROOS_59
  • 2000 TOYOTA CAMRY
What could be the causes of engine overheating that is not associated with the cooling system