Not cranking over

G WARREN JOHNSON
  • 2000 FORD RANGER

Have tested starter, starter relay and clutch safety switch, all tested okay. Vehicle will start if jumping starter relay with key on. Not sure how to test if ignition is the problem. Is there anything other than the ignition and what I have described to be the cause of this issue?

Saturday, December 9th, 2017 AT 8:47 AM

2CARPROS KEN

I will help you get the problem fixed. You must be losing trigger signal somewhere. Here is a guide to help you do some testing. It sounds like the ignitions witch has failed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Below is a wiring diagram for the starter.

Let us know what happens and please upload pictures or videos of the problem.

Cheers, Ken

Sunday, December 10th, 2017 AT 3:49 PM
ORKI
  • 2000 FORD RANGER

2000 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 76,000 miles

I have had my truck to be inspected for this problem but the mechanic couldn't make the problem happen so nothing got done. My truck's starter works fine when it is cold but when I leave a store too soon and try to start my truck, the starter doesn't do anything or make a noise. I have since learned to give the truck at least half an hour to cool down and then the starter will work. My battery was new Dec 2007 and it checks better than it is rated. I think it is heat that is making the starter not work. Is heat making something expand so much it is not making a good connection? Is it fixable or do I need to have the starter replaced?

Friday, December 15th, 2017 AT 1:38 PM (Merged)
JACK42

Could be a bad starter/solenoid. Check for 12 volts at the small wire on the starter with key in crank position. If it has power then the starter needs to be replaced. If none, then get back to me and we will figure out where it stops

ORKI

Thanks for your help. I am not capable of doing the checks nor could I find free info on how to do it. I did re-visit my mechanic and once I told him the problem only occurs after the engine is fully warmed, he then said it was a bad starter. So he placed the starter and I haven't had the problem re-occur.

JACK42

Glad to hear it

Friday, December 15th, 2017 AT 1:39 PM (Merged)
BUB2782
  • 2000 FORD RANGER

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger with a 3.0 Flex Fuel engine, I recently replaced the cam synchro and now the truck backfires through the intake. I followed all the steps correctly that I found online. I'm not sure if I'm on the intake or exhaust stroke for tdc, or if it's something as simple as a bad relay. Any help is greatly appreciated.

DOCFIXIT

Was special syncro tool used? If no damage will occure fuel injection will be offf. Must use tool

DOCFIXIT

Tool

BUB2782

Yes the alignment tool was used, and all the steps on how to replace the synchro I found online were used, I'm just hopeing that it is something simple and stupid.

DOCFIXIT

Why was syncro changed? What where symptoms? Instructions used from Chilton or Mitchell?

K7BANDIT
  • 2000 FORD RANGER

2000 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I have a 2000 4.0 4x4 Ranger. I am having problems getting it to start. I am getting good fuel pressure at the rail and I am getting spark at all the plugs. But when I try to start it, it just keeps cranking over but will not start, it wont even try to start. I have checked the fuses but there all good, it there a injector relay that might be bad.

Check the fuel pressure if it's within specs-also check are the injectors pulsing?

PATCANNISTAN
  • 2000 FORD RANGER

2000 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 80000 miles

Hi guys. My ranger drives fine most of the time but sometimes will lurch to a slower speed (almost like a downshift but w/o an increase in RPMs). The gas pedal is then momentarily unresponsive. If I tap the gas it seems to snap out of it.
This seems to happen in sets.
The truck sometimes stalls when I start it up as well. It will turn over fine and then rpms will drop instantly (even if I gun it). Sometimes I have to turn it over twenty times but it will always start eventually and then drive just fine.

BMRFIXIT

My 1st respond would be look for a vacuum leak
as I start reading more
I would still say look and check for a vacuum leaks
but I would suspect idle air control
remove check clean and or replace

BLACKLABEL
  • 2000 FORD RANGER

2000 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 94000 miles

i have a 2000 ford ranger 3.0 4by4 an just in the last month my check engien light has come on. I have replaced the sparkplugs and wires and it will go away for about a day or a week before it comes back on. I have spent over 400$ tryn to fix this proublem. Then after I got it our of the shop the next day the light came on again and I drove it to work and parked it, after work I went out to start my Ranger and it would turn over but not start. What could be the proublems. I love my ranger and spent alot on it.

THETOOLMAN

Did the shop get any codes from the ECU. Check to see if you are getting a spark. Just unplug a plug wire from the spark plug hold it a 1/4 inch from engine ground while someone turns the engine over. You should get a nice blue spark. That is the first step if you are getting a spark then we need to determine if you are getting fuel.
If you are not getting a spark there could be a number of things that cause this. First I would check the ECM fuse. There is also a shut down relay on some of these vehicles that could be the culprit. The crank sensor and cam sensor also play a role in the ignition system. Get back with me when you find out if you are getting a spark or not.
Good Luck

+1
BLACKLABEL

I got my Truck to start. I had just let it sit for a day and it started right up. But my truck still has a check engine light. The first time my 6th spark plug was misfiring and now its my 5th that it misfiring. I have replaced the plugs and wires. Is there anything you might know could be wroung. Thank you for your help.

+1
THETOOLMAN

Make sure those two wires are on real good. Did you put the plugs and wires on yourself? If not you may just want to look over them good and make sure everything is good tight on both ends of the wire. Does this engine have the distributor or is it DIS?

+1
BLACKLABEL

The wires and plugs where put in by a mechanic. I have looked them over and made sure they where on. The engine is a DIS. The mechanic took my coal pack and replaced it with one he had. The spark plugs keep misfiring from 6th to 5th. Would it keep going down to 4 3 2 1? Or should I buy t new coal pack? Thank You.

THETOOLMAN

So did you change the plugs and wires because of the mis-fire/check engine light? Was the coil pack changed for the same reason? Also do you have any other codes from the ECM.

+1