Altima won't accelerate

BARBQME2
  • NISSAN ALTIMA
I have a 2002 Nissan Altima with the 3.5L engine. It has 75,000 miles. Yesterday it wouldn't start because the battery was dead. I tried charging it but it didn't help. I replaced the battery but now the car will not accelerate when you push on the gas pedal. It idles perfectly and does not throw any error codes when check by an OBDII code reader. If you accelerate within one second after it starts it will surge, idle, surge, idle and then settle into idle. After that nothing happens when you push the accelerator. Does anyone know what is wrong? Is this something I can repair or reset on the car myself? Thanks for your help.
P.S. I may have posted this already. If so, I apologize for double posting it. Thanks once again.
Saturday, June 2nd, 2007 AT 10:50 AM

JACK42

Is sounds like you blew one of the fuses when connecting the new battery due to a voltage surge. Lets start by checking all fuses.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

Here are the engine wiring diagrams so you can see how the system works and which fuses to check with the fuse panels location and identification.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
-1
Sunday, June 3rd, 2007 AT 7:38 AM
BARBQME2
Thanks, Jack.
All the fuses are okay so I let it set overnight. When I started it this morning the accelerator worked like it is supposed to. I drove it and at first it surged but then it settled down and drove correctly. I drove it about 5 miles with no problems. For no reason that I could see it started acting up again. It would surge and then nothing would happen. While it was surging the car would move. When it wouldn't the car would coast. When I checked it with a code reader it gave me a P0733 code. I know what the code means but don't know what causes it. Could this be caused by a failing fuel pump, stopped filter, or is this electronic? Do you know what the next diagnostic step is? Thanks.
-1
Sunday, June 3rd, 2007 AT 8:44 AM
JACK42
Try clearing that code and see if it comes back, It is- A/T 3rd gear function. When you said before that the car would coast, do you mean like it was in neutral? This could be related to the trans code
-2
Monday, June 4th, 2007 AT 7:52 AM
BARBQME2
I cleared the error code but it came back. When I said "coast" I meant as if you had taken your foot off the gas pedal or had put the car in neutral. When this happens it's as if the accelerator pedal is not connected to anything. The car idles perfectly but nothing happens when you push on the accelerator. After a period of time (5-10 seconds) the car will accelerate when you push the gas pedal, but only for about one or two seconds. Then it is like the gas pedal is not connected to anything again. I assumed this code was set because of the fuel injection making the transmission do something unusual. Would a transmission problem cause the car to do this? It doesn't act like it is slipping or causing any problems. Thanks for helping me with this problem.
Monday, June 4th, 2007 AT 8:33 AM
JACK42
This is starting to sound like the throttle actuator is going bad. Have you had it replaced?
-1
Monday, June 4th, 2007 AT 12:28 PM
BARBQME2
That's a very good question. I don't know. I will have to look.
Something happened last night that may make the parts of this puzzle clearer. I put a new battery in the car over the weekend. Yesterday evening I tried to start the car but the battery was completely dead, drained to 3.78 volts! The top of the battery was covered in battery acid. This car has only been driven approximately 10 miles or less since the battery was installed. Am I correct in assuming that not only is something in the car powerfully draining the battery but that it is also being way overcharged? Would the most likely culprit be the alternator/voltage regularor malfunctioning? In the good old days alternators had diodes in them to keep charging voltage flowing in one direction. When these failed the alternator could drain the battery. Is this still the case in this car's alternator? Is the voltage regulator built into the alternator? Could this somehow be causing the surging problems this car is having? BS
Tuesday, June 5th, 2007 AT 6:30 AM
JACK42
Could very well be the alt. If the comp doesnt have theproper system voltage it will freak out and do some very strange things. If it will start, put a meter on the battery to see if the alt is charging, check for corrosion in the cables, could be a bad connection to the main power center
-1
Tuesday, June 5th, 2007 AT 7:59 AM
BARBQME2
The alternator is charging. When the old battery was connected to it it was charging at something like 17.6 volts. I assumed it was because the battery wasn't holding a charge. With the new voltage the battery was charging at over 14 volts. I did not check it at higher rpms than idle. It is very possible that voltage higher than normal was being read by the computer. Ironically, the car passed the emissions test the day before this happened, so I have a pretty good idea about the time when it was okay and when it failed. It seems that something failed catastrophically, not gradually. Unfortunately I took the car into the shop to have it looked at and $357.00 they installed a new throttle actuator and cleaned the battery cable ends all fixed. I wish I did it myself.
-1
Tuesday, June 5th, 2007 AT 9:43 AM
KIN CHAN
I had the same problem and found a used throttle actuator for 45.00 plugged it on and all set, thanks for the post. Helped me.
Sunday, June 10th, 2007 AT 11:24 AM