1998 LINCOLN TOWNCAR CLIMATE CONTROL PROBLEM

• homer12
  • 1998 Lincoln Town Car

1998 lincoln towncar 103,115 miles 4.6L Engine

Question 1998 lincoln towncar climate control problem, system only puts out hot air, sounds like a door under the dash is opening and closing constantly it will stop when I set the temp. Control to 75 degrees, but still only puts out hot air. When the car is turned off after warm up and re-started it puts out cold air for 10-15 seconds then max hot again no matter what the temperature setting is. Any ideas

Tuesday, April 10th, 2007 AT 6:29 PM

• dkhome

It sounds like your blend door actuator needs to be replaced. You can do it yourself but its a long and annoying job that requires removing the dash. The part cost between $65-$80 depending on where you go. If you go to a shop expect to pay between $600- $850.

+2
Friday, April 13th, 2007 AT 12:43 PM
  • Tex

That's what it is. I called the Lincoln parts dealer for one on my 98 Lincoln Towncar and they told me $46. You do have to practically take the dashboard off to replace it. It will be an "all day" job. There is a system check you can do to check for a code 24 or 25 indicating that the blend door actuator needs replacing.

+3
Sunday, April 22nd, 2007 AT 5:26 PM
  • homer12

And I still have the same exact problem. Anyone else have any ideas. The diagnostic code output from the electronic temperature control module is 24.

+1
Monday, May 7th, 2007 AT 2:51 PM
  • Tex

Just got mine back from the shop today $1000 later. It had 2 blend door actuators that needed replacing along with a TPS (temperature processing sensor) or something like that. Sure felt nice to have a/c again ! Especially in Texas. We were also told there were 3 service bulletins from Ford that came out regarding this problem. You can find them on the internet.

+2
Monday, May 7th, 2007 AT 6:25 PM
  • homer12

The problem was the electronic automatic temperature control module, in the center of the instrument panel.

+1
Thursday, May 24th, 2007 AT 3:18 PM
  • QLGreenSR

I have a 2000 Town Car. When set at 60 it blows real hot and fast. But when I set it to the temp outside it blows soft. Could that be the actuator or the temp sensor

+1
Thursday, May 31st, 2007 AT 8:30 PM
  • afterburner1

1998 Lincoln TC. 4.6 ltr 85000 miles.

The receptical on blend door cracked and allowed the motor to rotate without moving the blend door.
Have made repair to this recepticle, but have not connected the drive motor, because it turns 360 degrees and the blend door can only turn 90 degees at the maximum. The blend motor drive is extemely powerful and turning 360 is what cracked the blend door recepticle.
Question: how is the rotation of the blend door actuator (Motor) controlled so that it cuts out prior to starting a 360 rotation?

+1
Sunday, October 21st, 2007 AT 10:24 AM
  • afterburner1

Found answer to my question. The drive modual for the blend door behind the glove box (no need to remove dashboard) has an internal variable resiser that signals its location to the automatic climate control modual. (ATC) From resistance changes the ATC determines the drive location.
I would appreciate someone telling me the exact location and how to get to the ATC without removing the dashboard :mrgreen:

1998 TC Cartier

+1
Thursday, October 25th, 2007 AT 10:17 PM